Thursday, April 17, 2014

Hyrum is home from Afghanistan!

Hyrum is home!  We are so excited to have him back.

The welcome home ceremony was on Friday, April 11th.  We showed up to the gym 30 minutes early (because it's better to be early than to risking being late), and we waited... and waited... and waited.  Tiago did pretty well... and was oblivious to how much his life was about to change.  He was very entertained by his dog-tags and miniature flag.



About 30 minutes after the scheduled arrival, they made an announcement to clear the floor.  All the extra waiting made me more anxious than I think I normally would have been.  [Although I think the soldiers were more anxious than their families.  Hyrum said it was a long miserable flight back that dragged on, plus the bus ride from the airport.]

We all stood up on the bleachers. 
They started playing music.  
The doors opened.  
Smoke blew across the floor.
And the squadron commander led the troops in with a background of cheers and applause.

[That's Hyrum right in the front middle, looking at us].


They stood in formation while they played the National Anthem, said a prayer, heard a few words from the Regimental Commander...then they were released to their families!


Ruuuuuuuun to your soldier!!  Hyrum was only about 15 feet away, so we actually didn't have far to go.  


Tiago has no problem with strangers (as long as they give him attention) so he was happy to be held by Hyrum.  He was mostly just checking Hyrum out, and would occasionally turn around to make sure I was still there.  No smiling, though.  All business.


It was about 45 minutes past Tiago's nap time, and I think he was getting hungry, so it didn't take long before he was fussy.  He would smile as long as he was being entertained, but then got very serious and cried.


 These next two pictures (mostly the first) are probably my favorite shots of the whole day.  Neither Hyrum nor I are good at hiding our emotions, and I guess Santiago is following suit.  His face says it all... and more!!  Nothing says Welcome Home! like a big scowl.  And for the record, he's not wearing shorts, his pants were just riding up.



First family photo!!


Another look at that face!  
[Hyrum said that Tiago was just so happy that he couldn't contain his emotions.]


It was fun to watch Hyrum for the first few hours figure out how to interact with a baby.  He was awkwardly carrying the baby around, trying to look like the baby wasn't slipping out of his arms.  I said, "Just rest him on your hip" and he said, "I don't have any hips!"  Tiago's wiggling, and swinging fists, didn't make it easy on him, but he figured it out pretty quick and after a few days was a pro.



After a little family bonding, we went over to the parking lot to collect Hyrum's bags, then headed home.  Hyrum has learned many new things, like how to use a car seat and stroller, how to change a diaper, and what a nap schedule is.  For him, that day was like the day Santiago was born--everything was new, and it was his first time to hold his son.  He loved it.



When we eventually made it home, Tiago quickly fell asleep, we ate delicious food, and Hyrum got to be the one to go get a very happy baby after his nap, then feed him.  He was content to sit and enjoy his Papá... and they've been playing ever since.






1 comment:

  1. Some of those pictures are priceless. I'm sure Tiago will get a kick out of this when he's older.

    ReplyDelete