Monday, September 30, 2013

The House that Cleaned Itself... and other adventures



Okay, so my house doesn't really clean itself, but it's felt that way for the last month.

My mom arrived about a week before Santiago was born, and stuck around for a few weeks after to help take care of the baby.  Almost every morning around 7:30 or 8, Santiago would wake up (after sleeping only an hour) and start crying.  I'd lay in bed half-asleep, waiting for him to stop (or at least hoping he would stop.)  Then I'd hear my mom get up and entertain him.  (Bath, walk, etc.)  Then I'd fall into a deep sleep for another hour or two.

By the time I up, the house was miraculously clean!  Trashcans empty, dishwasher emptied, floors vacuumed.  And on top of that, she made a freezer full of food while she was here.

This will be a rude awakening to have to start doing those things myself...



I'd like to think we did at least a few fun things while she was here-- it wasn't all work.  Before the baby came, we went to Flossenburg.  We walked around the concentration camp and then I sat in the car while she walked up to the castle.

We spent many hours watching seasons 2 and 3 of 24.  I think Jack Bauer is now our hero.  We also watched seasons 1 and 2 of Downton Abbey.  (Hey, there are a lot of hours in the day when you can't really get out and do stuff.)

Of course, there was the birth.  Hanging out at the hospital, playing with Tiago, feeding, burping, changing diapers.



We walked around Amberg, bought a few things, and visited the Franciscan monastery at the top of the hill.



We visited Bayreuth, which has one of the top 10 castles in Bavaria.  We toured the palace and gardens, then went to the Opera House which was built by/for Richard Wagner.  It was closed.







Lastly, we ate.  A lot.  We ate the following cuisines: Thai, Greek, German, Turkish, Italian, Chinese and more German.  Mixed into that was a bunch of Gelato.  And more Turkish doners.  And a little more gelato.

Franconian pancakes
sausage and sauerkraut
pumpkin soup
Chinese food

We walked all over Vilseck, many times.  Mostly to get gelato.  And doners.   Hopefully the walking balanced the eating!


Thanks for coming, Mom!  I'll miss you.  Especially at 8:00 in the morning!



1 comment:

  1. Okay, it must be a Hatch thing. After having a baby, I have zero desire to leave the house let alone go sight-seeing! You must be cut out for this baby thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete