Santiago
born at 9:29 pm on Friday, Sept. 13
So far, Santiago is a happy little baby (as long as he's fed, clean, and burped). And I'm feeling great, aside from all of the obvious pains associated with giving birth and then being sleep deprived. Here's a small recap of events from the last few days, hopefully without too many "TMI" details.
On Thursday, my due date, I went into the hospital to be checked. Like at all appointments, they hooked me up to a fetal monitor for 30 minutes. I was feeling no contractions, or signs of having a baby any time soon. I was scheduled to have appointments every 2 days for the next week. As I was hooked up to the monitor (bored) I was not looking forward to repeating the exact same thing day after day.
| Timing contractions at home |
[Obviously with this being my first child, I learned a lot in the process. One thing that completely surprised me, though, is that when a person's water breaks, it's not a one-time thing. It's a lot of liquid coming out in gushes over several hours. I'll be better prepared the next time around!]
All that pain, and they told me I was only 1 cm dilated. Seriously?? They put an IV port into my hand and then brought me to the room I'd be in post-delivery, and let me put my stuff down and hang out there and wait. I was free to walk around and do whatever I wanted. I just had to check in every 2 hours.
Around 3:30 I had the epidural in. It was much more painful than I'd imagined. Not a quick pain like a normal needle, but instead a long steady pain as it went further and further and further... But worth it! I felt very little for the next few hours.
The time between 6 and 9 pm is kind of a blur of pain, and hoping the baby came soon. Finally the nurse said I could push if I wanted, but not 100%. Within 15 minutes the doctor and nurse came back in and decided it was time to have the baby.
Every time I pushed the doctor put his forearm onto the top of my stomach and pushed down with all his weight trying to get the baby lower. That might have been the most painful part of the day. I felt like my entire head was going to explode because he was pretty much cutting off my lungs and any air back to my head. Meanwhile, I felt nothing of what was going on "below." Pushing a baby out of a little hole? No big deal, apparently. Not passing out during delivery? Maybe a bit more difficult.
About 10 minutes of pushing, and Santiago was here!
Eventually I got my baby back, and the nurse and doctor left. Around 11:30 my mom and I started wondering if they'd forgotten about us. They were in no hurry to get me out of there. But finally they wheeled me down to my room and I got to sleep.
| [You can sort of see the red dots around my eye] |
Santiago slept most of the day, but he'd wake up occasionally to eat, or cry.
I stayed at the hospital one more night, and got to go home on Sunday afternoon. Before we left, though, the pediatrician checked Santiago and they drew blood... from his head! It was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen, and he was screaming and screaming. I would have been too. It made me grateful that my IV had been in my hand.
| Flowers from Mom at the hospital, right before we left |


No comments:
Post a Comment