- In general, none of the medical professionals I interacted with volunteered information. I had to ask questions to find out anything. I could go in for a check up and not know any more when leaving than when I arrived. Occasionally I'd just check, "So the baby is normal size? Healthy? All is normal?"
- For the first 9 hours I was in the hospital, I was still in my own clothes and wandering around wherever I wanted. They assigned me a room for my entire hospital stay, and I was able to hang out in there during the contractions. It wasn't until after the epidural that they had me stay in the delivery room and put on a hospital gown.
- German doctors have no problem with patients eating or drinking during labor. In fact, when I asked my doctor about it a few weeks ago, she gave me a funny look for even needing to ask. They served me both breakfast and lunch while I was still up and walking around.
- Most of the time I was in the hospital, I was seen by nurse/midwives, not doctors. In general, doctors don't play a big role in the delivery wing. They check in occasionally but its the nurses who check you, give you medicine, and pull the baby out. And its whatever doctor is on duty that sees you, not the doctor you've been seeing for appointments.
- After Santiago arrived and was cleaned up, the nurses pretty much left us alone. Similar to German restaurants where you have to specifically ask for your bill or you will wait around for hours, I think we would have been hanging out with the baby in the delivery room for over 2 hours had my mom not stepped out into the hallway to find out what was going on.
- The patients' rooms are not private, and there isn't even a dividing curtain. Usually Americans are assigned to a room with another American. But there is no personal space or privacy. I found out WAY too much about the girl I shared a room with... single soldier, young, pregnant by boyfriend, unstable relationship... drama! And in addition to that, it also means waking up several times during the night because their baby is crying, or the nurse is coming to give them medicine, etc. I was glad to escape the hospital and be back in my own house.
- Babies spend the majority of time in the rooms with mom. You can take them to the nursery if you have to shower, but for the most part they stay with you.
- Upon leaving, you pretty much just walk yourself out. Earlier in the day I got checked by the doctor, and Santiago was seen by the pediatrician. Then we packed up and I carried the baby down to the car. No car seat check, or wheel chairs. Not really even any paperwork or farewell.
Thursday, September 19, 2013
A German Birth Experience
The army post here does not have a hospital (or an OB-GYN for that matter), so I've been going to a German doctor for the last 9 months, and I delivered Santiago in a German hospital. Overall, it was a positive experience... good staff, good facilities, most of the time there wasn't a language barrier. Once or twice there was a nurse that didn't speak English and we had to play charades--which can be a bit unnerving when it comes to taking medications. Based on what I've heard of births in the states, here are some other things that made the experience unique:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You got to eat/drink during labor?! That's nice. It bugs me that they won't let you at least drink anything during labor here. (Oh, but, "Here, have some ice chips!") Except labor makes me nauseus, so I'd throw anything up anyway. In the States (in my experience), the doctor has very little to do with the delivery as well. The only time I've ever seen the doctor was right before the baby came. And I've never had the ob-gyn who I saw during my pregnancies deliver the baby. So you didn't swap numbers with your hospital room-mate? ;) That could make for some interesting play dates. Okay, and my last thought: I think hospitals here are doing more of the baby-stays-in-your-room business, and less of the nursery time. That's how it was with mine at least. They all "roomed-in" with me. Doug loved your last bullet point. Here, it is HARD to get out of the hospital when you want to. Paperwork, and then you need a sign off by the pediatrician and the ob, and if you want to leave before they want you to, they lay on a thick guilt trip about all the things that could go wrong with your baby in the first 48 hours. Blah. Oh, but they let you have the epidural all the way to the birth, so maybe it's just a trade-off. ;)
ReplyDelete