After dropping Hyrum off in the late night/early morning hours, I let myself cry all the way home and then go back to sleep. Since then, I've been surprisingly stable! Maybe that's because it's hard to comprehend how long 9 months feels without a spouse around [3 months is our record, and that included a weekend visit], so for now it's just one day at a time. And I can handle individual days.
Here are some thoughts floating around in my head from the last 7 days:
- It's strange to go back to grocery shopping for 1. And cooking for 1.
- Falling asleep, alone, is quite an adjustment, too. Several times this week I've laid in bed for over an hour before finally drifting off to dream land.
- Speaking of sleeping, Hyrum might be glad he's not around because my bed has been taken over by pillows!! Even using 5 pillows, its still hard for me to get comfortable. [This is to be blamed completely on pregnancy, not deployment.]
- I kind of miss eating meals at the table. But its so boring! If there's not another person around to entertain me, I go somewhere more fun, like the computer or TV.
- My first day home alone I decided to stay home and take it easy. And by the end of the day, I decided "never again." Now, I create to-do lists with just about anything on them, just to keep me busy. I go to a weekly play group, even though I don't have kids. I spread out errands over a few days, instead of cramming it all into one like I used to. If you can think of any recommended non-crafty hobbies, I'm all ears.
- In cleaning the house, even some menial tasks are tinged with nostalgia. For example, This is the last time I'll be washing Hyrum's clothes for 9 months. Or, Now that I've put his shoes where they belong, I won't have to touch them again for 9 months. Kind of nice. But also sad.
If only it weren't for the "war" aspect of deployment, I think I'd have much more peace of mind. I don't worry about myself here at home; I can pretty much handle whatever comes up... but war zones introduce so many unknowns! That's what I dislike the most.
But we keep moving forward, a day at a time. And thank goodness for technology, even if internet in Afghanistan costs an arm and a leg.
9 months....just think of it as another pregnancy!!
ReplyDeleteAw, sorry Heather! :(
ReplyDelete