Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Easter in Germany

No pictures from our own Easter celebrations.  But regardless, I  wanted to write down a few thoughts about "German Easter"-- at least as far as I could tell.

Haribo Gold Bunnies Gummy Candy: 12CT BoxApparently the idea of 'Easter bunny' has picked up steam in Germany, but here's what I don't get:  it's really hard to find plastic Easter eggs that you can put candy inside.  Maybe the bunny just leaves a basket full of other candy?  The grocery store candy aisle was definitely packed with plenty of Haribo gummy candies (instead of gummy bears I bought gummy bunnies--yum!), and chocolate of all varieties (Milka, Kinder, Cadbury, etc).  Most of it shaped like bunnies.

One place I have seen plenty of plastic eggs is hanging from bushes/trees in people's yards.  And those are the eggs I found easily at the store.  They don't open, but have string attached to hang them up.  The World’s Top 10 Best Easter Trees

The bakery carries two special kind of breads for Easter  One is called Osterbrot, and it has raisins/currants in it.  So immediately I was turned off and didn't want to try it.  No 'extras' in my bread, unless of course its chocolate chips. The other bread is shaped like a rabbit.  (It could be the same bread, just a different shape.)

Lastly, Germans celebrate Good Friday, and have off Friday-Monday from work.  Everything is closed those days, except on Saturday when people do their shopping.  Tough out of luck Friday and Monday though. Since Hyrum also had those days off, we just ended up cleaning the house since we couldn't spend any money.  (And traveling was out, since Autobahns tend to clog up during full-on German holidays).

A few other thoughts: some people do Easter egg hunts.  I heard of a small neighboring town hosting something.  But not dying eggs.  That's still just us Americans.  The idea of buying eggs and then not eating them is probably too 'wasteful' for Germans.  Hyrum and I ate ham, dyed Easter eggs, and ate candy.  Thank-you America.

No comments:

Post a Comment