Sunday, April 14, 2013

Riding Solo from Turmeque

Here's another installment of Hyrum's chidhood.  Just to set the stage, Turmeque is the small town where his dad grew up, outside Bogota.
Turmeque Main Plaza
Little Hyrum


Growing up we visited Turmeque many times during the year, and I always went with at least one of my parents.  The first time I took the trip alone is when I was living in Turmeque, and went to visit my parents for summer vacation—June and July.  It was a weird idea to be going ‘home’ for vacation.   I was 8 or 9 years old.  At the time it would take 3.5-4 hours to get from Turmeque to Bogota in flota (a big bus that ran between towns) because everywhere someone wanted to get on, the bus stopped.  And it stopped a lot to let people off.  My Tia Miriam bought the ticket and we went to the main square where the bus leaves from.  She put me in one of the first seats near the driver, so it felt more safe. My aunt told the driver “Hey, drop this kid off in such-and-such place.” (Like a Fed-Ex package). Then at that stop in Bogota, my dad was waiting for me.  All I had to do was sit in the seat and eat what they packed me.  My grandma always packed a lot.  Every time someone went to Bogota, my grandma sent food for people—us, or other relatives.  It would be a huge box several feet wide with fruits, arequipe, and stuff from the huerta (garden/orchard).  So imagine a little boy, with his little clothes, and little snacks and stuff, and a huge box!  I sat there on the bus and tried to sleep, but couldn’t because the campesinos (farmers) smell bad.  They carry their ruanas (poncho) and smell really strong.  It was traumatic.  That’s how I started my independent traveling life.
FLOTA LA MACARENA 723.FOTO:HAMMER ARROYAVE
Colombian Flota

No comments:

Post a Comment