This year's birthday celebration far exceeded my expectations. (I've learned over the years to keep those low, because Hyrum is usually not home, and my kids don't appreciate birthdays.)
I started a tradition last year of throwing myself a birthday lunch. It gives me something to do on my birthday (invite friends over and eat, while our kids play) and luckily this year I found another friend with a birthday close to mine. "Co-hosting" made it seem a little less about ME. (Maybe). So that was fun, we had quite a group, and thankfully all the kids played nicely together.
On the afternoon of my birthday, Tiago had soccer practice at 5:30, so we had my family birthday celebration the night before, with a cake the kids picked out at Walmart. I didn't expect much of any celebration on the 18th.
To my surprise, Hyrum got home at 2:30 and gave me a card saying I had the afternoon free, and we were going on a date that night. He arranged for a friend to take Tiago to soccer practice. I asked if the girls were coming to dinner with us... but he surprisingly had arranged a babysitter, too! (I think that's maybe the second time he's coordinated a babysitter in the last 5 years.) I was completely surprised.
But, I don't like to be TOO surprised. I got to pick out the restaurant. :) We tried a chinese restaurant that a few people have recommended, and tried steamed dumplings for the first time, along with a few other things. I have a whole list of places I want to eat at in the area, so I was happy to cross one off the list. After, we went to Applebees for dessert with a gift card.
And maybe the best part of the night was coming home to a quiet house-- the kids already put in bed by the babysitter! Tiago was still awake, so we went to say goodnight to him. He made me this flower for my birthday out of paper and a straw, and wrote those words all by himself, "Be a sun beem." It was a great end to the day. And just like that, I'm 33.





No comments:
Post a Comment