Yesterday at bedtime Hyrum went to eat a bowl of cereal before putting Tiago in bed. (Tiago had already brushed his teeth.) Tiago asked him why he was eating, and Hyrum said, "Because I exercised a lot today and I'm still really hungry." Tiago said, "Yeah. I know. I guess I was running a lot at school and after school and it made me really tired, and....?" He never did ask for cereal, but he tried really hard to skirt around it.
Recently we implemented a new dinner-time activity to distract the kids (and try to get them to eat more, without talking about eating.) We ask them to share something good and something bad that happened during the day. And almost without fail, they say that "playing with friends" was the best part of their day. If they didn't get to play with friends, the girls always say the worst part of their day was not getting to play with friends. We are SO glad there are other kids on our street they can play with outside.
Every morning, the girls still play 'pets' with their stuffed animals and make up games/scenarios. The cast of characters is growing. They have their princess pal animals, which are Pumpkin and Dreamy. (Those names came assigned.) They each have a pretend doll--one has been Enchilada for months, the other recently went through a name change: Anda is now called "Baby Professor." They have a stuffed zebra (aka "bee-zra") which was recently named Papaya. Mila has a small plastic toy named Orangie. They put a tea cup in a box to be its hot tub. And my favorite stuffed animals are their Teeny Tys, because they're so small. The other day when I went into their room in the morning they explained that they were taking an airplane trip to Utah and all the animals were coming along. Other mornings, they play "Pecan Waffle House". Their imaginations are really something.
No comments:
Post a Comment