Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Favorite Baby Items


Tiago has been sick for the last 3 days, with his temperature getting up to 103.5 degrees F.  Not fun for him, which translates to not fun for me, either.  Luckily it went down today, so we can avoid going to the doctor.  In celebration of a healthy baby, I present a few of my favorite baby things from the last 6 months:  



1. Britax B Agile Stroller- Hopefully this lasts for all of our kids, because it wasn't cheap.  But it gets around great on all of this European cobblestone, and I can open it up and close it with one hand.  [Which TSA made me do while I was holding Tiago and my carry-on in one arm.  Thanks.]

2. Snow Suit- I was given a car seat cover, a stroller sack, and a carseat sack-- and I didn't use any of them.  All winter I just threw Tiago in this cozy (and cute!) snow suit whenever we left the house.  Buckling the car seat straps was easy; putting him into a baby carrier was easy.  (No blankets necessary).  This one is from Avon, but I can't find it online.

3. Doorway Jumper- Tiago can be entertained for hours in this.  It requires no supervision.

4. Big Boppy pillow- I have a second (smaller) nursing pillow that's good for propping my arm up, but having a really thick one has been awesome!   It gets the baby high enough that I can lay him horizontally and don't have to bend over.  That makes it easier for me to doze off during middle-of-the-night feedings.

5. Baby ear thermometer- This has gotten plenty of use this week!!  It's a quick, easy way to take a baby's temperature.  I can get Tiago's temperature before he realizes what I'm doing and starts to fuss.  Now he's starting to think it's a toy, though... just the right size for baby hands.

6. Simethicone drops-  I can't say enough about these.  It's probably my #1 recommended item.  It didn't completely cure Tiago of whatever problems he was having, but it significantly changed his behavior in the first few months.  Less arching his back.  Less waking up to burp. Happier baby. I'm glad my doctor gave me some!

7. Graco Swing-  This was most useful for the first three months.  Even if Tiago was awake, I could put him in this while he was calm and let him swing or listen to music.  Sometimes he even fell asleep in it, which was great.

8. Sleep Sack- I was able to do away with blankets once I got a sleep sack.  Tiago stayed warm and couldn't kick his blankets off.

9. Ikea drool bibs-  We haven't even entered the teething-stage, but I have one slobbery baby.  These are cute, yet not huge like most bibs.  I think Europeans are fond of the handkerchief look, because I see them in all the baby stores.  This is a little bigger, but same idea.

10. Fisher-Price Music Mobile-  Occasionally, this toy can buy me 30 extra minutes of sleep.  If Tiago can watch the fish go back and forth, and listen to music, he'll sometimes just play happily in his crib.  And extra sleep is invaluable.  Now that he's getting more mobile, he'll roll his way to that end of the crib just to kick the buttons.

11. Pacifier clip-  Not that Tiago is a big fan of pacifiers, but on the occasion that he'll take one, it's nice to know where it is, and not have it fall on the ground.  I bought a few of these specifically for our airplane trip, and it saved me from getting into my carry on to dig around for a pacifier.

12. Ergo baby carrier- This is new, but I can already tell a difference for how the weight is distributed compared to other (cheaper) baby carriers.  It's almost all in my hips, which is great for people (like me) with lower back problems.  We bought one in manly colors, since I plan on having Hyrum do most of the baby carrying when we travel.  :)  Like the stroller, I hope it lasts a long, long time.

And while I'm at it, here are a few items I haven't found very useful (so far):

  • Pack and Play- I'm sure some day this will come in handy, but so far I've probably only used mine 2 or 3 times.  Cause I was too lazy to walk to Tiago's crib.  
  • Baby monitor- Our house is all on one level, so I can hear the baby cry without this.  I occasionally wish I had a video monitor so I could tell if Tiago was stuck on his stomach, but that will have to wait until we're back in the States.  
  • Baby Bath tub- I never actually bought one. And don't regret it.  
  • Swaddle- I tried using it once, and not only did Tiago escape, but he always slept better without it.  He loves having his arms free.  
  • Bumbo seat- I haven't found it all that helpful, and then today Tiago started squirming in it and face planted.  So I think that will go in the closet for now...



No comments:

Post a Comment