Saturday, October 20, 2012

Plastic is NOT just plastic

Plastic bottles in recycling bin, Germany Stock Photo - Lizenzfrei (RF)null, Code: 628-02953726Germans looove their recycling.  In fact, it's against the law not to recycle.  When we moved in we received our little 'refuse' trash can-- a far cry from large state-side Herby Curbies-- and instructions for the ins and outs of the city's recycling program.  Paper gets picked up twice a month.  And I have the privilege of taking the rest to a recycling yard with bizarre and limited hours.  When we reached the point that half our kitchen floor was taken up by plastic grocery bags filled with more plastic, I decided it was time for an adventure to the recycling yard.  Cardboard in cardboard dumpster.  Cans in can bin.  And plastics... had about 16 different bins!  Who would have thought there were so many different types of plastic.  I asked a group of employees gathered there if they spoke any English, and they looked at me like I was crazy.  So I started picking through my bags of plastic trash trying to match each yogurt lid and deli-meat container with similar contents from one of the many plastic bins.  It took a while, but I survived.  I wonder if I'll leave Germany in a few years as a 'green' person??  Or maybe just a plastic expert?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment