Driving here in Germany isn't too different than in the States. We still drive on the left side of the car, on the right side of the road. The biggest adjustment is PRIORITY ROADS. Or a lack thereof. Whoever is on these designated roads gets to go first at intersections, and other cars have to yield. [pretty much no stop signs anywhere, except on post, which is a bad mess of american and german traffic laws]. When there is no sign for a priority road, the car to the right gets to turn first. So as I barrel down my street, I sometimes have to slam on my breaks when I remember a small car coming in from a small side street is actually supposed to proceed before me. Strange. I liked America's first-come-first-serve policy. The good news is that you can't run a stop sign if they don't exist.
Another funny traffic rule, unique to small towns, is the one-way tunnel. Our town has two. (yes, two. A bit excessive maybe for a town without any traffic lights?) With posted signs indicating which direction has the right of way, it can cause quite a back-up in the opposite direction during 'heavy traffic' times. Not quite an autobahn 'stau', but close.
![]() |
| I guess it's not the tunnel that you drive through... the tunnel is blocked, and it's down to one-way to pass through. Below is one of our two arches. |

No comments:
Post a Comment