Last fall, when I was feeling particularly burned out, I read another mom's idea for recharging her batteries. Four times a year she scheduled a 24 hour get away to do whatever she wanted. Then on the days that were particularly crazy she had a "light at the end of the tunnel".
So of course I wanted to adopt the idea because it sounded genius. And luckily Hyrum was on board. I don't know how this idea will play out during times he's deployed, but at a minimum I made it happen in January!
It's a little hard to put into words why moms need to just get away occasionally (although it's a feeling universally understood.) But "eating without disruptions", "reading a book in silence", and "freedom" all come to mind.
I booked a hotel nearby (luckily with free points!) and set off for 24 hours. It felt nice to just go wherever I wanted. So my day went something like this:
-Wander through the thrift store and look at whatever I want
-Stop at Jamba Juice (haven't been there since college)
-Walk through DSW (and buy shoes)
-Eat more lunch at Whole Foods (because I was doing no carbs/sugar in January)
-Stop by the mall to try on jeans
-Get my hair cut for the first time in about a year
-Go to hotel and read a book, watch TV, relax
-Eat at a health-food restaurant (gluten-free pizza) and read a book simultaneously :)
-Wander around a shopping area -- trying on a lot of clothes at Gap and Loft
-Finish my book and get a full night's sleep
The next morning Hyrum picked me up on the way to Denver so we could attend the temple. It was good for my soul to just do whatever I wanted. No plans. No obligations. No buckling carseats or following a schedule. There was literally no where for me to be, so I wandered. Alone. And because of it I was a lot happier to see my family the next day.
Let's do this again some time.


No comments:
Post a Comment