We were on a mini-road trip. Tiago had on headphones listening to music. He got excited about a song and handed the headphones to us, saying "Take a listen, mom." And suddenly he aged about 15 years.
There's a playground we go to that has a little table and chairs built in. Tiago decided it was his little restaurant. Hyrum and I sat down, took pretend menus, and ordered pizzas. Tiago went upstairs to his "kitchen" to prepare the food. Then he came running down towards us, but still was about 15 feet away. "Here's your food! Catch!"
Another day we were on the swings and he was pumping his legs back and forth, apparently feeling pretty smart for knowing how to do that. He asked me, "Am I a smartypants?" I'm guessing he learned it on the school playground.
Most mornings when the kids wake up they ask where Hyrum is. One morning Siena said, "Where's Papa? I miss him."
Mila has some serious control issues. She has recently started saying, "Five more minutes!" every time we have to go do something. Like if I say, "It's time to go to the store" she screams back, "five minutes!!". She usually holds up her fingers, either two of them (one and two) or all five.
In the last month, Tiago has really transformed into the best big brother. The first time I noticed the change was first thing in the morning when Siena was being SO GRUMPY. Tiago said, "I think I can make her happy." He started tickling her under her neck, getting her to laugh, and then he was so proud that he was able to help her. He tickles her all the time now when she's crying. (And Siena has mastered her "frowning smile"... part of her happy but still wanting to look miserable. She laughs then switches immediately back to a pout.)
He also started buckling their carseats, by his own initiative. Often he'll tell us, "Go away, I'm going to buckle my sisters." Honestly, it's awesome, because I hate leaning over to buckle carseats. Sometimes, though, he says, "I'm too tired right now."
Along the same lines, we have had a few conversations lately about what it would be like to add a baby to our family. (I'm not pregnant.) Tiago is really so excited to be a big brother to a baby. (He was only 18 months old when the girls were born.) I made a comment to the kids like, "Can you believe no one in our family wears diapers now? All three of you used to wear diapers." And Tiago said, "Yeah, Mom, we need to get a baby. Because every family needs a baby."
Mila and Siena are polar opposites when it comes to getting hurt. If Siena gets hurt, she immediately comes and collapsed into me or Hyrum, wanting to be held and comforted. If Mila gets hurt, she immediately starts pushing us away, yelling, "no, no" She does not want to be comforted. It's definitely easier to deal with Siena when she's hurt.
And Mila is clumsy. Multiple times a day she's bumping into things, tripping, falling over, etc.
The girls like to compare their injuries. A few weeks ago Siena tripped at the playground and ended up with a huge purple bruise on her cheek. She'd say, "I fell at the playground and hurt my cheek. I need to go to the doctor." And then Mila would say, "I fell off the playground and broke my shoulder. I had to go to the doctor." They took a lot of pride in their injuries. (After the fact.)
Siena smells everything. She smells hand soap. "That's delicious." She smells flowers. Lotion. Food. Chapstick. And it's always, "Mmm, that's good" or "that's delicious." I've never had a great sense of smell, so I find her habit hilarious to watch. (She gets it from Hyrum.)
When Siena is tired at night she says, "It's nap time." (ie: bedtime.) She is usually happy to go to bed at night, and sleeps on her back with her hands up behind her head.
(Mila and Siena are now sleeping in the same bed, with a divider/bumper between them. So far so good. They bug each other a little while trying to fall asleep, but within 15 or 20 minutes they're asleep. When they wake up, they kind of play together before knocking on the door to get out.)
Mila responds, "Yes sure I can" whenever you ask if she will do something. For example, a few days ago Tiago said, "Mila, come help me clean these magnets." To which she responded, "Yes, sure I can." Or I asked her if she'd come help me clean. "Yes sure I can."
Going back to her clumsiness, she often declares, "I'm okay! I'm okay!" when she falls. This morning Hyrum responded under his breath, "Nobody asked..." (She had just slid off the side of the bed, nothing serious.)
And she says, "Scoop over" instead of "scoot over." Siena started saying it, too.
Tiago mostly pronounces things right, but a few a few words continue making us smile. "Renember" and "cimmanon". I guess those "n" and "m"s get mixed up in his mind. But it's cute.


No comments:
Post a Comment