My church calling for the last year has been teaching in Primary. I've held a lot of callings before, but never primary teacher. Last year my assignment was 10/11 yr olds. I loved the lessons-- there was so much information about church history and cool stories to tell. But I always felt like the kids were bored to death. (I'm really not that boring of a teacher...) I couldn't figure out how to make them interested.
At the beginning of 2018 they changed my class to 7-yr-olds. Initially I was sad to be teaching a younger group, because teaching little kids can start to feel more like entertaining. But I'm actually loving it.
They all turn 8 this year and are preparing for baptism. That alone makes my lesson preparation take on a little more purpose. Plus, 7-yr-olds are old enough to understand quite a bit of information while still being easily excitable. Anything can be turned in to a game. They're old enough to read from the scriptures and be familiar with some good scripture stories.
While I still struggle with getting the kids to pay attention (and stay in their chairs, and not carry on their own conversations while others are talking) I feel like there's some actual learning going on. A few of the kids ask really great questions, like whether they can feel the Holy Ghost if they make a bad choice, or how to tell the difference between Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father.
A year ago I never would have guessed this would be one of my favorite callings so far. (Plus, I get to see Tiago in the last hour of primary; so that's fun, to watch him sit silently the whole time, even during singing time.)

No comments:
Post a Comment