Thursday, October 22, 2015

Random thoughts: satisfaction, clothes, and fitness

Motherhood changes a person.  Earlier I caught myself thinking, "This has been a good day so far!"  And then all my reasoning behind it kind of made me laugh:

-I mopped the floors (and wiped the counters!)
-I did a load of laundry.
-I put on jewelry
-I bought some groceries (with all 3 kids in tow)
-The kids weren't screaming

So that's a successful day for this mother.  If I saw that list when I was single I probably would've thought, "It's been a pretty boring day!"

But Tiago has this new habit of just running up and hugging your legs every once in awhile.  And he tries so hard to copy the words that we say.  And Mila just started scrunching up her nose and making the same funny face that Siena has been making for weeks.  It's all so cute that it makes motherhood quite fun.

Moving on.  I have two thoughts on clothes.  First, I've been making more of an effort lately to wear jewelry (as mentioned above) because I read someone saying that it completes an outfit.  So I wear earrings, a watch, and a necklace.  I'm not sure if it actually makes me look put together, but I feel less sloppy.  I also make more of an effort to make my "messy bun" look intentional, instead of just messy.  (It just involves a few extra minutes with dry shampoo and a few bobby pins.)  I think that little effort makes me feel more productive throughout the day (even if it's all in my head.)

My second thought is actually a story.  I needed to go to the grocery store really quick, and was wearing a casual sleeveless dress around the house.  I threw a chambray (jean) shirt over it because I didn't feel like going upstairs and putting another shirt underneath.  Hyrum was home eating lunch.

Me: On a scale from 1-10, would you say this outfit is lower than a 5?
Hyrum: Lower than a 5? Yeah, definitely.
Me: Really?  So bad that I shouldn't go to the grocery store?
Hyrum: Uh....
Me: Eh, I'm going anyway.

Then at the grocery store, a cashier let me come into his line ahead of everyone else.  In situations like that I don't ask questions, I just go.  I'm not sure if the outfit worked for or against me, but in the end what I was wearing didn't matter all that much.

One more random thing to record today:  Hyrum scored a 300 on his PT test last week!  For non-Army people, let me explain.  Periodically soldiers are given a physical test: a 2-mile run, 2 minutes of sit-ups and 2 minutes of push-ups.  They receive a score for each event, up to 100 points.  Hyrum usually has no problem with the running and sit-ups.  But the closest he's come to getting 100 points for sit-ups was just a few hours after we got engaged--and I guess the adrenaline was still pumping.  So finally scoring a 300 was a big deal.  I think it makes him feel a bit like Arnold Schwarzenegger.  I, on the other hand, am struggling to even do push-ups and sit-ups.  I'm making an effort to get to the gym regularly, but I lost any small amount of muscle I had pre-pregnancy, so it's all a ridiculous struggle. Hopefully one day down the road I'll post some before/after shots of me once I'm in great shape!  I've got the "before" pictures taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment