Mary Poppins & Goldfish. He's a simple kid with simple joys, I suppose.
He first saw Mary Poppins a few months ago. I found it on Netflix, because he loves music so much and that movie has music playing the entire time. It had the effect of a tranquilizer pill: he literally will just sit and watch for long periods of time without getting distracted. When it comes time to cook dinner, or do some cleaning (ha, on the rare chance that happens), Mary Poppins is my lifesaver.
I literally have 75% of the movie memorized, and fall asleep/wake-up with song lyrics running through my head. A few favorite quotes:
Mrs. Banks: We're clearly soldiers in petticoats, and dauntless crusaders for womens' votes. Though we adore men individually, we agree that as a group they're rather stupid.
Mary Poppins: Enough is as good as a feast.
George Banks: Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts.
Mary Poppins: Practically perfect people never permit sentiment to muddle their thinking.
His second love is goldfish. I usually keep a big box on-hand, and when he wants to eat he'll walk around the house to find it, and either carry it to me, or yell and point if it's out of his reach. Since he can't talk yet, it's a simple way to keep him happy and let him have some autonomy over what/when he eats.
In the last few weeks he's gotten two more teeth on top, which curbed his appetite quite a bit, and I felt like he was literally surviving solely on goldfish. [Mother-of-the-year award: a goldfish eating kid that watches the same movie daily!] Luckily in the last few days he's started eating more 'normal' food, like yogurt (the more expensive the better, in his taste), scrambled eggs, and pears.
Speaking of food, this kid is like a chipmunk! Last week I was feeding him mandarin oranges (his favorite) and ground beef. I made him take a bite of meat in between orange slices, and after about 2 minutes, all of the oranges were swallowed and he spit out a big pile of meat that he'd been storing in his cheeks. He'll do the same thing if he gets excited about a food (rare)--he eats it so fast that his whole mouth fills up before he can even swallow.
One last thing to mention about Tiago at this age: he still doesn't talk! I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but the doctor showed some concern at his last appointment, and recommended we have him checked out. So a developmental specialist came. (As I type this, I feel like I've already written about it.) In short, he is behind the learning curve with speaking, but that's not all that surprising to me since he hears two different languages at home; I think it will come eventually. But here he is, at 16 months, and doesn't even say "mama" or "hi".
Maybe I won't be surprised if his first word is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
| Sad faces. |

He is so cute! And I didn't realize Mary Poppins had so much music--we'll have to try it with Caleb because he also loves any musical videos.
ReplyDeleteAll of my kids have been late talkers. Caleb is almost 18 mos. and only says Mama. He clearly understands everything so we know it's not a hearing issue. They were all early walkers and we have just accepted they talk late. Just so you know you're not alone in that boat :)