Thursday, December 25, 2014

Utah: Part II

The Sunday that we got back from Vernal we were able to visit a lot of people... and eat a lot of delicious food.  Right after church we had some amazing pork tenderloin that my mom cooked.  After that we visited Hyrum's family and his mom had made ajiaco (Hyrum's favorite Colombian soup.)  And at dinner time we visited the Jones family and had Cincinnati Chili.  They were baptized while we were living in the Kirtland Ward, and have recently relocated to Utah.  It's nice that they're close enough to visit now!


I like this picture for two reasons.  First, Matt owns multiple 3-piece suits and wears them regularly, along with fancy shoes, argyle socks and expensive watches and cuffflinks.  And second, speaking of cuff links, he ordered a bunch of large stones online that he can use to make flashy cuff links.  He had multiple tools out to examine the stones, including an eye piece and measuring tape.  I'm pretty sure he's meant to be doing this in a workshop next door to a cobbler and butcher, about 300 years ago.  


No story here, but they're the next chronological pictures on my camera.  Tiago had so much fun taking baths; he got a few new bath toys from Sariah and my mom.  



I don't have pictures from Monday.  We drove down to Lehi in the morning so Tiago could play with his cousins.  I'd say he had fun playing with them, but he had equal amounts of fun just being able to play with their toys.  He loves exploring new places and new toys... the stuff at our house always seems to be boring.  Ella spent a long time trying to figure out the deal with the babies that are inside of me... and when she'd be able to see them.

After Lehi we stopped in Orem so Hyrum could see Doug's office space and the massive production that goes on there.  Then we went to Jdawgs, of course.  Hyrum hasn't been back to Provo/Orem since 2011, so he was very  nostalgic as we passed UVU (his old school) and the plasma center where he used to work.  Driving down University Parkway he reminisced about how many times he drove down that road getting between home and school.

Our last stop was in Provo to visit Hyrum's friend Claudio.  We always joke that before Hyrum and I got married, Claudio was his other soul mate.  They did everything together back when they were running around Provo as bachelors.  Then they both got married... and had kids.  It's crazy how time flies.

As we drove out of Provo we were able to see construction on the Provo City Center temple.

That night we went to Red Robbin with my parents.  Great choice!  That place never disappoints.  Tiago got spoiled with attention while we waited for a table, then got spoiled with a milkshake once we were seated.  Luckily he likes french fries, so he was pretty entertained while we ate.  


Tuesday was another packed day.  I spent a while with my mom re-learning how to drive a stick-shift.  I had a manual car for a summer back in college... but it's been a few years.  I wasn't good.  But I wasn't horrible.  Then we went shopping.... which we did a lot of during our 3 weeks in Utah.  In the past I've had to do all my maternity clothes shopping online, and just cross my fingers that things would fit.  (There are a couple of stores 'near' where we live in Germany that sell maternity, like H&M, but the selection is so limited.)  I was in heaven being able to actually try on clothes before buying... Gap, Ross, Target, etc.  I finally had to draw a line and recognize that I don't need any more clothes.  But the babies do!  So I bought new clothes for them. :)  It worked out well that there was a soccer tournament going on throughout that week that Hyrum wanted to watch.  He always offered to stay home with Tiago and watch his games, while my mom and I shopped.  It's easier to run in and out of stores without a baby.  My mom and dad did plenty of baby duty, too, while Hyrum and I went out.  

Around lunch time we met Hyrum's parents at the park and they got to play with Tiago for a while before we all went out to eat at a cute little diner.  Really, Tiago never suffered for attention once during the entire trip.  One spoiled kid!




That night I met up with my college friends/roommates to eat and catch up.  We apparently spent so much time talking that we didn't take a single picture, but I love hanging out with them whenever I visit Utah.  I'm glad they all still live there.  

Wednesdays are the day my parents and Matt go to my Grandma Hatch's house for lunch, so we tagged along.  As usual, there was a bowl of salad for everyone, blue cheese dressing, more olives than anyone could possibly eat, a ton of meat, and lots of dessert.  Yum.  On the way home I decided one of the nice things about eating at her house is she doesn't let us do dishes.  She says it gives her something to do with the afternoon, and there's no point insisting otherwise.  So we literally just eat, chat, and run.  She gets around a lot for someone who is 93!  [After the eating and chatting, and before the running, she loaded us up with a plastic bag full of her costco goodies: nuts, chocolates, gummy candies, etc.)

That afternoon I chopped all my hair off.  For the previous several months I'd been itching to cut it short, because it was driving me crazy.  It took forever to dry, and ever since having Tiago there is a big section in back that is curly, making it more difficult to wear my hair down without a lot of effort.  I kept putting it off until we got to Utah, so I finally just searched Google for a nearby salon that would cut my hair and send it in for wig donations.  I brought in a few pictures of ideas I had, but more than anything I just told the lady I did not want a bob.  I've had that haircut before, and it requires SO much maintenance to get everything in the right spot.  I wanted something I could wear messy.  

Less than an hour later and I walked out with exactly what I wanted.  


While I'm on the topic of hair, I've discovered the importance of hair products.  I didn't used to use anything.  Now I use plenty!  And it makes all the difference.  Volumizer, hair wax, and dry shampoo.  My hair still looks decent three days after doing it, which means a lot less washing and drying.  I might never go long again... (yeah right.)

Moving on with our Wednesday, I got home and Hyrum and I left on a secret date night; he had no clue where we were going.  First we went to Cafe Rio, because it's delicious.  We ate so much I don't know how we even walked out of there.  Then I gave him the address of our next location, and he drove right by it even though I was pointing it out.  (He thought I was taking him to Mcdonalds.)  We were able to spend the night at the Sheraton in SLC while my parents babysat Tiago.  It was a great chance to get away together, since it certainly doesn't happen in Germany.  I don't even think our baby missed us...  And instead of us getting up to rock the jet-lagged baby at 4 am, it was my dad!  



I woke up sick the next day, and rested all day trying to recover before another date night we had planned.  I wanted to go on a double date with Matt and his girlfriend Kayla, so we planned to all go to the Pizza Pie Cafe in Bountiful.  (Fun trivia: Hyrum and I went on our first date there, except in Provo.  We hadn't been back since.)  Tiago was once again abandoned by his parents as we went off to eat ourselves to death.  


Kayla didn't realize I was taking a picture... so we laughed about how much it looks like they don't like each other in this photo.
 Much better!

Someone mentioned how full you get by eating the whole pizza and crust, so Hyrum tried a new technique-- he only ate the top half of his pizza, allowing him to eat more.  (It's a buffet.)  The normal pizza flavors were good, but the dessert pizzas were amazing!  They had peach and oreo, which were highlights.

We all felt like this by the end.  So we went home and played scum, which is a card game.  Hyrum preferred to call it 'skunk', so whoever was in the 'losing' chair got a lot of jokes made at their expense.  It's kind of a strange experience to double date with my siblings (especially as an old married person, in their eyes), but I think everyone had a good time.

And this was probably a different night, but the sunset was beautiful so we took some pictures from my parents back porch.  



And I'm sure this was a different day, too, but is a good representation of how many people spend their time while at my parents house.  It seems like every night someone was headed down to the hot tub, usually having a party without me.  (One of the downsides of pregnancy...)  I stuck my legs in a few times, but it's just not the same.  








No comments:

Post a Comment