Friday, August 23, 2013

Pregnancy Update: 37 weeks!

Almost there!

It's hard to believe that in less than a month we'll have a baby at home... maybe even just a few weeks.  I'm not sure I'm mentally ready for the whole "birthing process", but ready or not, here he comes.  In a "New Parents Class" they offer on post, they showed us a short movie about birth.  While some women talk about the miracle of child birth and what a beautiful process it is, I mostly just saw the pain and blood.  (Uhm, and some mostly naked women from the 90's... could have done without that.)  Hopefully once I experience it myself I'll have a change of heart.  Or maybe not.

Flossenburg, Germany
 

Here are some highlights of pregnancy at 37 weeks:

  • I've been converted to Tums.  And even then, heartburn can keep me up at night. 
  • I've had to get pretty creative with how I sleep, and how many pillows I use.  Sleeping on my side makes my back hurt, since I have to use those muscles to prevent myself from tipping too far forward.  I've had a few sleepless nights, but fortunately not too many.
  • The previously-mentioned 90's birthing video said that in the few weeks before birth, a woman will noticed an increased need to urinate.  Not sure that's possible.  Sometimes I've no sooner washed my hands then I feel like the baby is jumping on my bladder all over again. 
  • Rolling over, bending down, looking over my shoulder when backing out of parking spots... it all requires so much effort!!    
  • I probably waddle.  I'm not sure if its more from being big, or feeling like I need to find a bathroom every time I stand up. 
  • Honestly, I think I'm gaining a lb a day.  Hello double-chin. 
  • And I'm more emotional, which is probably not a bad thing considering where I started on the scale. Maybe now I'd be considered normal? And I'm not sure whether pregnancy is to blame, or the fact that my husband leaves in a few short days!
I'm glad this has been the extent of my suffering.  I'm not swollen.  My rings still fit.  All of my maternity clothes fit.  The nursery is ready.  My lower back pain has been bearable, which I was really worried about from the start.  And our baby is healthy.  The doctor said yesterday that he's about 5 lb 12 oz.  Below is a little video.  (In one of the 3d ultrasound shots the doctor showed us, the baby's face looked a bit like the Hunchback of Notre Dame... an eye looked like it was bulging out.  She assured us, "Don't worry!  He'll look normal at birth!")


1 comment: