Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Mila and Siena turn 6!

 The thing I'll remember most about the girls' sixth birthday is how many people wanted to celebrate them!

They brought treat bags to share with their classmates, and their teacher send me a picture of them at school with birthday certificates.

When I picked them up from school a bunch of other kids were coming up telling them happy birthday.

After school we met up with some church friends to ride bikes and eat cupcakes.  They had a blast, and received a few little gifts which all the kids gathered around to play with.  

Driving home, we passed some friends on our street, so the kids asked to get out of the car and play with them.  One had presents ready for them.

Throughout the day they received calls and messages from family members.

And a few nights after their birthday another neighbor friend rang on the doorbell while we were finishing dinner.  He had brought them each their own Bakugon (a toy they're all obsessed with) and a whole bunch of cupcakes to share.  So we spent the rest of the evening out on the grass playing with friends until the sun went down.  

I wondered if so many people knew about their birthday because there is two of them to spread the news.  But I also think they've just endeared themselves to a lot of people!  They're surrounded by friends.


We chose not to do an official party this year, because of covid awkwardness.  But they ended up having a great day.  Hyrum took the day off work, and we pulled them out of school for lunch.  They chose happy meals that we took to the playground for a picnic.  Then, I took both of them ice skating for the first time.  They've been asking to do it for a few years, since they saw Tiago go.  They both had fun, and were glad to have buckets to hold onto.  But about 15 minutes into our 75 minute time slot Siena asked, "Can we leave now?" I guess she'd had her fill!  I made her stay a while longer.  

For dinner I had asked the girls what they wanted me to make.  Siena first said chikfila.  When I said something I made at home she said 'oatmeal'.  I told her something else, so she said 'ramen noodles?'  I told her that wasn't actual cooking, so she asked for frozen chicken nuggets. I told her she no longer had any input, and concluded that she definitely doesn't appreciate my cooking.  Mila requested breakfast for dinner, so we had pancakes, fruit and eggs.

By that point I think everyone was tired.  No one wanted cake (even though I worked hard on a 3-layer cake!) and they just wanted to race through opening their presents, not acting super excited about them.  Some leaned on the side of practical, but I thought they were still fun!  The next day they seemed more excited.  (They got a watercolor course with supplies, hiking backpacks, hats with their initials, Book of Mormons they can color in, LOL dolls, a game, and headbands.  Actually, the thing they were probably most excited about was a bunch of Sunny D from Costco and mini-muffins. Go figure.)

Tiago put together a candybar poster card and gave it to them first thing in the morning.  That was the best reaction of the day.  They thought it was amazing and he was beaming. 



























No comments:

Post a Comment