School started in the middle of August. We spent the days before trying to squeeze in as much day-time fun as possible--that included a visit to the Perot Museum, Klyde Warren Park, a big indoor playground and a stop at Hyrum's office downtown, followed by a nearby splash pad. My kids like Hyrum's office because they can pick out a snack at the USO.
Tiago got to go to back-to-school night, but his school didn't assign Kindergarten teachers in advance, so they just rotated through the three classrooms and got an overview. On the 3rd day of school we got a phone call letting us know who his teacher would be. (I guess they wanted to observe kids before dividing them up.) I only know about the teachers based on seeing them in the cafeteria with their classes last year. But Tiago got the one I was hoping for, Mrs. McCrea. She has the most experience and seemed to focus a lot less on negative behavior.
Tiago was thrilled to start school. I don't think he was nervous. It helps that he's done this twice, and it wasn't a new school. He got to pick out a few new shirts at Target, as well as a lunch box-- both ended up camo, I suppose inspired by his dad.
We requested that the girls be in Mrs. Dunsworth's class, just like Tiago was last year. She was a fantastic teacher, and had so many fun activities in the classroom. They started in the afternoon, with the idea that I'd have a little less to do in the morning as we rushed out the door to get Tiago to school. They also weren't the least bit nervous. They were SO excited to be in Tiago's old classroom. And of course it helps that they didn't have to do it alone.
A couple of days after school started, we got a call from their teacher. She said the school district was shifting their pre-k classes and needed her to teach a 3-yr-old class in the afternoon, so her current 4-yr-olds would be going to other teachers (or switching to mornings to stay in her class.) We thought about it for a few hours but ultimately decided to move them to mornings. That meant 3 things-- they couldn't do the gymnastics class I'd been thinking about signing them up for, the mornings would end up more rushed because I had to get them ready for school, and there would be no more morning activities with friends. (Many of their friends just do preschool a few mornings a week. It is so weird to now be out of that stage of life-- meeting up with friends at the playground, library, etc. At least out of that stage for now.
After school I had oreo 'mud' cups for them with worms. It was cute, but I won't be repeating it in future years because it left my sink full of dishes. Maybe just cookies or something.
I love having them in school. The girls are only gone for 3 hours in the morning. I usually take Enzo on a 20-30 minute walk after dropping them off, and then have time for errands or household stuff. (Or showering.) I end up walking to/from the school 3x each day, which is some good build in exercise and will be more pleasant when the weather cools down.
The morning rush was pretty crazy for the first week, and the first few days involved a lot of yelling. One morning Tiago refused to leave the house, so I told him to just stay inside while I walked the girls to school. He pretty quickly came running after us. They get up and want to lay around for 15 minutes (or read, in Tiago's case) instead of getting dressed and eating breakfast, and then they run out of time. It's further complicated when I have to feed the baby because they don't get anything done unless I'm standing next to them telling them to get going. They have a 10-minute drop-off window (7:40-7:50), and have only been late once. They were running up the steps when the bell rang and luckily were still let inside. (Otherwise they have to check in at the office as tardy.) I've started waking them up a little earlier, which helps.
And just recently Tiago started riding his bike, which he's having a lot of fun with. Siena rode her bike once, but she is SO slow that I took that option off the table.
The girls have learned most of their letters in the last two months, and have many friends at school. They're writing their names. Tiago says he isn't learning much, but is doing more math and I'm not sure what else. His teacher told me she's trying to still challenge him with his reading. athey're off to a great start.













No comments:
Post a Comment