Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Funny things kids say


Tiago showed us a Monarch butterfly flying around, then asked, "Is it MonarCH or Mon-arc?"  He asks questions like that when he's only read the word but never actually heard it spoken.  He also always calls his "Dino-pedia" book "Dino- pay- dia". 

Mila and Siena went to a friend's birthday party (who they did Joy School with last year.)  I heard this story from a mom, who heard if from the one throwing the party.  The boys were playing in a fort, saying no girls could come in.  Damien, another boy from Joy School, who is BFF's with Mila, came and put his arm around Siena and said, "Girls can come in, it's okay."  And just then Mila came running over yelling, "That's Siena, not Mila!"  So then Damien looked a little shocked and went and put his arm around Mila.

At school, the teachers occasionally give out awards for good behavior called "Golden Tickets."  Last week Mila won a Golden Ticket, and got to go pick out a special pin from the main office.  After school Mila showed me her pin and was so excited.  Their teacher came over to tell me that they were a little bit nervous about how Siena would react when Mila won the award, but to their surprise, Siena immediately went to give Mila a hug and told her, "You're the best sister! I'm so proud of you!"

Taylor Swift's new album came out a few months ago.  The girls are familiar with her song from "Sing", Shake it Off.   I asked Alexa to play the new album.  And later that day when an Amazon box arrived with Taylor Swift's picture on it (they were doing a promotion) Siena asked, "Mom, is Taylor Swift a girl?"  She was so serious, but to me it was like hearing someone ask if Santa Claus was a boy.

Mila and I were talking about animals, and she brought up peacocks.  I asked if she knew why boy peacocks had beautiful feathers. She correctly said they were trying to impress the girls peacocks... so they could get married.  Then she got a little perplexed and added, "But they have to go find a peacock temple to get married in, right?"

As a family (usually after FHE) we sometimes play 20-questions about animals: I think of an animal, and they ask questions until they can guess the animal.  Tiago said he wanted to play using prehistoric animals.  We hesitantly agreed.  So he thought of an animal, and we started guessing different kinds of dinosaurs.  He told us, "Here, I'll give you a clue.  It's from the Triassic period."  We kept guessing, and he kept saying, "That's not from the Triassic!"  We finally admitted, "Tiago, neither of us know a thing about the Triassic, Cretaceous or Jerassic... they mean nothing to us!"  His prehistoric animal was a Nothosaurus, which I've never heard of, but google just confirmed that his info was right.  And he correctly informed us that it's not actually a dinosaur.


Siena: "Mila, if you die, you're going to turn into a zombie."  Too many Halloween books!

I asked Tiago if other kids at school participated in "crazy hair day".  He said, "Yeah, Jonah was supposed to have a ...(long pause while he tried to think of the word)... mo-sock, but his hair was too thick."

Siena always asks, "Is that for real, Mom?"  (Dinosaurs, whales, bats, vampires, unicorns, etc.)

Instead of saying someone went somewhere, Mila and Siena use their own paste tense of go which sounds like goated.



I think I already wrote about these next two in previous posts, but thought I'd include here so its all together.

Shortly after Enzo was born, Mila was talking about some day when she has her own baby.  She said, "But we won't be able to make dinner because our chest --actually her plural form was chestes-- will hurt, and so people will bring us dinner, and desserts, right?"

Tiago asked me to print a coloring page for him (from Google Images) of the universe.  I told him I couldn't find one.  Then he said, "Then how about just the Local Group?"  I was like, "Uhm, excuse me? What??"  "It's a neighborhood of Galaxies, Mom, but actually there's just one, it's ours."

No comments:

Post a Comment