Thursday, April 25, 2019

Kid Sports

This Winter/Spring we've had the kids enrolled in extracurricular activities, the girls in ballet/tap and Tiago in soccer.

Ballet has been alright, but I don't think I'll sign the girls up at the same place again.  It was very expensive (to me) and on top of the class fee, you pay a crazy amount for costumes they'll only wear once.  Plus regular leotards, tights, and shoes for class.  The teacher isn't great with little kids (she's young and has completely unrealistic expectations for behavior.)  But the girls enjoy it.  It gives them something to do each week and I know they'll love dressing up for their recital.  It's sometimes hard to watch kids 'learn' to do something at a young age that would only take a fraction of the time learning if they were slightly older.




Soccer was way less money, and there are games a few Saturdays a month.  Unfortunately, we've had some crazy weather on our weekends.  Despite being warm and sunny all week, several of Tiago's games have been freezing and windy, or cancelled for rain.  So it ends up being a bunch of freezing little boys, completely distracted by their hoods blowing around, trying to play soccer.  It's taken some practice for Tiago to be more aggressive on the field.  He's very comfortable playing at home against Hyrum (and we think he's really good!) but during games when we tell him to take the ball away from the other team he's pretty timid.  Several kids on the team are completely aloof (like scoring in the wrong goal, sitting down in the middle of the field, wandering around, etc) so Tiago does well.  But he needs some more experience playing on a team in real games.










I'm REALLY looking forward to this summer, when they'll all take swimming lessons for two weeks.  That's something that will pay for itself over and over.  I can't wait until they're all proficient swimmers.

[I realized I have way more pictures of soccer than ballet... but that's because we can't really watch ballet classes, except through a small window.  I'll have pictures of their recital.]

No comments:

Post a Comment