Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Tiaguito Avanzado

During our summer trip to Colombia, the main souvenir I wanted to bring back was books in Spanish.  It's just hard to find stuff here in the States.  Our first few days were spent in Turmeque (a tiny town), and on a whim (because it was raining and we had nothing else to do) I went to the little paper/pen shop next door to see if they had any books. I found a couple of educational books, and bought one called "Leito Avanzado".  It's like a reading primer, that goes through each letter putting together sounds to make words.  I think it cost $2-3.  

Hyrum spent from August until December reading a page each day with Tiago at bedtime.  Tiago's ability to read in Spanish now is really impressive!  He picked up where to put accents on words, how to pronounce all the vowels in Spanish, and even says his "ll" like he's from Argentina.  When they got to the end of the book there's a little diploma.  Tiago had been looking forward to receiving it, so Hyrum decided to make it into a big event. 

We held a graduation, completely with a hat, nice clothes, Pomp and Circumstance, and a cake.  It was all a surprise to Tiago and he loved it (and was so embarrassed.)

Who knew a cheap, random book would help Tiago's Spanish so much??






1 comment: