Back in the fall, a friend from our ward in Germany sent out a message to see who'd be interested in a girls weekend in Waco, TX. Me! It was super convenient, because I'm in Dallas and everyone was coming to me from around the country. Some people had conflicts, but I was surprised at how quickly people jumped on board and bought plane tickets. I haven't seen any of them since we left Germany in 2015. But it was such a fun reunion.
The first night we did a session at the temple, ate yummy Mexican food, and did a run to the airport to pick up the last few ladies. Everyone stayed at my house that night. (I had just enough pillows, sheets, places to sleep!) The next day we drove to Waco and explored the Silos. I predictably spent a bunch of money at the bakery (highly recommend the savory biscuit and chocolate chip cookie.) We had the last reservation at Magnolia table before it closed, so the restaurant was mostly empty the whole time we ate.
We spent one night at an Airbnb nearby--the house was featured on Fixer Upper, and looked just like all the other things Joanna Gaines has designed. So that was fun to see all the details of that home. It seemed like a good way to complete our "Waco" experience. (In the group, we had some hard core fans, and others who'd never seen the show.) We made a point to watch the house's episode that night. We also made our way back to town for more food at a tiny diner. As my friend took the picture of our table, the waitress said, "I've seen a lot of things, but I've never seen anyone do that." haha

Before heading back to Dallas on Sunday for everyone to catch flights, we attempted to attend 3-4 different wards in multiple buildings, and kept getting told the wrong times and striking out. Eventually we gave up.
It was an unexpectedly fun weekend. As an introvert, I sometimes worry that packed weekends with a lot of people will be draining, but it was the complete opposite. I felt like I'd reunited with amazing friends and was filled up. We talked so much about life and experiences. Parenting, marriage, struggles, successes and loss. One of my friends just happens to be at the exact same stage of pregnancy that I am, which is fun. Plus delicious food. It made for a fantastic 48 hours.







No comments:
Post a Comment