Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Abrazos

Mila and Siena get a lot of attention individually, due to their smiley nature and wildly curly hair. Put them together, and we get a lot of comments, usually one of the following:

Wow, twins?  [yes, twins]
Look at that hair!
You've got your hands full.

I've heard some moms say they resent that last comment, because they feel judged.  But I always smile at people and say, "Yes, I certainly have my hands full."  What feels like most-of-the-time I have my hands full of toddlers who like to whine, pull hair, steal toys, beg to be carried, sit in the middle of the road, etc. My hands are full, along with my patience worn thin, and my mind fried.  I'm at the stage of motherhood where I wouldn't be insulted by any of those comments, but instead I would nod and agree.  

That means I grasp at whatever straws I'm given.  I was in the kitchen one afternoon cleaning or making dinner, when I saw the girls start chasing each other in my direction.  They'd hug briefly, push away, then repeat.  After realizing this hugging activity was going to last more than a half second, I grabbed my camera to capture a spontaneous 'sweet' moment between sisters.  


That's the kind of picture we'll pull out when they graduate high school together, or be maid of honor at the other one's wedding.  Or it will be the picture we shove in their faces when they fight as teenagers... "Remember you love each other!" 

But I had to laugh when my sister asked, "So they like each other now?" because I don't think love is quite what motivated this hug.  

First step: size up the competition

2. Spread arms and approach

3. Smack

4. Half a second of love, before...

5.  Claw, pull, and scratch until the other retreats (ie: screams for mom)

But like I said, I'll take what I can get to remind me that motherhood is sweet and wonderful, even with hands full.  

[Mila has pink undershirt and Siena has green.]

No comments:

Post a Comment