Thursday, June 23, 2016

Day to Day 2

June 19th- A few kids in our ward had super contagious diseases (hand, foot, mouth!) and so I went to bed last night really paranoid.  I can't handle my kids getting sick right now.  The teething alone is making me crazy.  Mila woke up with a rash around her ears and I spent a while on Google making sure she's fine, and then when putting her in bed I saw a big blister on her toe.  Fingers crossed that she's 'normal' in the morning.

Tiago hasn't eaten a real meal for over 24 hours.  A few gold fish.  An otterpop.  A few sips of a smoothie.  I hate making food for him.  It just goes to waste (right now he has meat balls, a cupcake, and PB&J in front of him) but I feel bad not offering him anything.  How is it possible to not get hungry?

Church by myself was interesting. The girls weren't as wild as usual during sacrament meeting, then I took them outside during Sunday School to play in the grass (and eat. There's no eating allowed in the chapel because it's a military chapel and they have some difficult rules.)  During Relief Society I held both of them most of the time. Siena kept leaving, then dragging in clothes from the lost and found.  Mila didn't sleep at all this morning, and she was so tired by the end of the day.  But we survived, and Tiago had a blast in Nursery (as always.)  Good nursery leaders are the best thing ever.  Tiago is lucky.

It wasn't a day of rest for me, but I survived.  Is it bad that sometimes in my evening prayers I just say, "Thank you that this day is over!"

Siena with her two bottom teeth... more on the way!
Mila, who now has three teeth on the bottom
June 20th-  It was QUITE a day with Tiago.  We had two noteworthy episodes.
This morning I did a quick trip to the grocery store. All the kids were loaded into the cart.  I noticed Tiago brought a small car (Mater) in his hand, so I told him to keep track of it.  As we were walking back to the car, Tiago asked for a banana. I gave it to him, and he broke the top half off accidentally and threw a fit.  When we got to the car he asked for another one, and so I gave it to him.  He pushed off the top and then threw a fit, indicating that he wanted it to be attached.  He wanted another banana.  No way.  So I hurried and strapped the girls in, loaded all my groceries, and sat on him to buckle his carseat, all while hearing him scream at me. As soon as I pulled into the driveway, I realized we didn't get Mater out of the shopping cart.  And as small as it is, it's a $7 or $8 car. So I tried to be the hero and drove back to the grocery store hoping our cart was still there.  It was.  I retrieved the missing toy, and patted myself on the back.  I handed it to Tiago, he smiled, and asked for another banana.  I thought the storm had passed, so I gave him a banana.  You know the rest of the story, and yes, he screamed the whole way home.

Tonight's incident was slightly more innocent but frustrating all the same.  I had Tiago's bed nicely made, because earlier I washed all his bedding.  His blanket, pajamas, and books were all ready to go.  While I was getting the girls ready for bed, first, I put some tea tree oil on Mila's foot, where she has a huge blister.  It's supposed to be good for the skin.  Tiago saw the small bottle and said he wanted to put some on his leg, where he thought he was injured.  I told him to wait a minute til the girls were in bed and I'd help him.  I didn't think he could open the bottle himself, and finished getting the girls ready.  Two minutes later, I went in to read him books and he was sitting on his bed with a now-empty $20 bottle of oil, and his legs were quite glistening.  "Medicine, Mom."  I wiped him off, washed the bedspread, and he still wreaks of the oil.  I expect his legs to have magical properties now.

I'll balance that out by saying that he's cute when he prays.  He repeats what we tell him, but doesn't it in the quietest whisper.  I don't think anyone but God actually hears him, but I can see his lips moving.  He doesn't do much else quietly, but he's got reverence when he prays.



June 21
I finished season 6 (last season!) of Downton Abbey last night. I took a long hiatus after they killed off some key characters, and I was annoyed. But I've been catching up on Amazon over the last 6 months.  So sad it's over.  I never before thought I enjoyed British humor, but the Dowager is my favorite. They know how to do one-liners. Most of all, I'll miss the glimpse into completely different lives (wealthy, important) in a completely different era.  What would it be like to dress up for a dinner party every night?  (It actually sounds miserable to me, but I like watching other people do it!)  I'm thinking about going back and re-watching season 1, which I saw the first time over the span of 4 days when I was pregnant (and really sick!) with Tiago.  So long ago!

On another note, the kids were so much better today.  Not at 100% normal, but also not crazy lunatics making me a crazy lunatic. I'll take it.


June 23
Yesterday and today were feeling more normal.  My kids weren't screaming and crying all day long.  And right when I thought I was out of the woods, I went in to get the girls up from their nap and saw vomit everywhere... in both cribs and all over both girls.  We've since been doing a lot of laundry and sanitizing.  Fingers crossed it's a quick stomach bug, and that the rest of us stay healthy.




No comments:

Post a Comment