We look at him and see a big kid. His baby days are behind him. Waaaaaay behind him. It doesn't help that we buzzed his hair pretty short. It aged him about a year, but he's looking pretty cute.
He does a lot of fun things at this age (at least in my mom opinion.) I want to remember the fun things, because he has also started throwing a lot of tantrums. He doesn't communicate very much, and gets frustrated, so he throws his whole body around and refuses to be held. That usually results in banging his head against furniture or a wall, making him cry even harder. (In a mean way, I actually prefer when that happens because his emotions move from mad to sad, and I can help a sad Tiago much better than a mad one.)
Basically since day 1, Hyrum has been pushing Tiago towards soccer. Before Tiago could walk, Hyrum carried him around kicking the ball; and now that he walks, he does a great job dribbling. We have so many soccer balls around the house that he seems to be kicking them all the time, which makes his papa proud.
Those two play together a lot---the kind of energetic, running around hiding and screaming play that I find rather exhausting. Sometimes when Tiago gets particularly worked up or scared, he'll start pointing to random things trying to distract Hyrum so he can't 'get' Tiago.
Although he doesn't say much, his vocabulary is slowly growing. He said Mama, Papa, uh-oh (which Hyrum said doesn't count because it's not a word, but he says it all. the. time.), wawa (for agua), buh-bye, and his latest word (obsession) is "bús" (rhymes with goose). He got a little double decker bus when we were in London, and he loves to play with it and say "booosh!" When Hyrum gets home from work, Tiago usually grabs the bus and runs to the door to give it to Hyrum. [He just started saying "mas" --"more" in Spanish. Ironically, it's because we made brownies, so he kept running to the counter and saying "mas?"]
Just a quick note about his use of "buh bye", because it's something funny I want to remember. He doesn't usually say it when people are leaving. He said it when he wants us to leave him alone, and when he wants us to know he's leaving to go somewhere else. For example, this morning I found him getting into some stuff he shouldn't have been playing with. I told him to play with something else and he kept insisting "buh bye!" and waving me away as furiously as he could. Along the same lines, if I try to get him out of the bath tub before he's ready, he waves me away emphatically.
He gets jealous of the attention we give his sisters. But when they both have to be changed and fed, there's not much a mother can do, so he'll just have to learn some patience. I tried to start baking with him. We made cookies a few times, and I helped him measure the ingredients into a bowl. Now he'll walk into the kitchen and point to the measuring cups and flour and start whining. If only my body could handle making chocolate chip cookies every day, I'd be on board. But my weight is kind of going in the wrong direction even without all the extra baking.
Here are a few pictures of him from the last several months:
A helicopter landed in the lot next to our house, so Tiago sat in that window for quite a long time watching.
He pulled the jelly off the table, then proceded to explore the best method for getting large quantities out for consumption.
Almost every night he lays back in the tub and asks for us to hand him a book to read.
He probably watches his fair share of TV.
I thought I'd get a better reaction out of him the first time he tried Sour Patch Kids.
Somehow as we were organizing the house for movers to come, this happened.






He does look so much bigger with that buzz cut! And that picture of him in a bandanna and cowboy hat is ridiculously charming. Also, the other day we filled up our tank at a gas station and PAID AT THE PUMP. It was wonderful and I thought of you.
ReplyDelete