Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Poland Day 3: Krakow

We woke up Sunday morning with three goals in mind.  First, find a delicious breakfast.  Second, make it to church.  Third, explore the Jewish Quarter.  The day was a success across the board.

It was tricky since most restaurants didn't open until mid-morning, but I was determined to find a delicious meal that wasn't a quick stop at a bakery.  The food in Poland is cheap and good, and I wanted to take advantage of the fact that we were up so early (thanks Tiago!) and get a decent meal.  We found this place about 15 minutes before it opened, so we waited around and weren't disappointed.  Hyrum was great at entertaining Tiago while we waited for our food (at this point he was perfecting his clap).  I got a sun-dried tomato and goat cheese omelette that I really wish I could recreate.

From there we went running--literally--to church and walked in a few minutes late after figuring out the right doors and elevators to take.  Everyone turned around to look at us; all 15 of them.  The branch was tiny.  There were three sets of missionaries included in that 15.  Although it was so small, it was neat to see a recent convert give a talk, and another man being confirmed.  You can tell that when people are really needed, they are strengthened and able to do great things.

We spent the afternoon wandering around Kazimierz (the Jewish Quarter).  We took 4 or 5 different trams to get there because we didn't have a good map, and the lines that I wanted to take were all closed.

First we walked to the New Cemetery where Jews were buried in the 19th and early 20th centuries.  During the time of WWII many of the headstones were destroyed, so it has been pieced back together.  The wall going around the cemetery is made up of headstone fragments.
These two pictures are a bit dramatic!  I don't recall being mad, so we must have been going for somber

We crossed over the river to get to Schindler's factory, which has been turned into a museum.  Hyrum was excited that Krakow was hosting the Volleyball Mens World Championship, and we were both excited that Tiago finally fell asleep.

This is the actual building where Schindler's factory helped save over 1000 Jews during the war.  Only Oskar Schindler's office has been kept intact; the rest is a museum covering the whole war period.  Hyrum loves history, war history, and museums, making this one of his favorite parts of Krakow.



Before heading home we stopped at one of the hundreds of cafes lining the streets.  More delicious food for a fraction of what we would have paid in Germany.  Yes, I'll have soup and dessert with that!




We were back at the hotel with plenty of time to play in the kids area.  Tiago loved it. I wish all hotels had something like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment