First, Hyrum had to do something about his facial hair after Brazil. It's a rare occasion that he doesn't shave, so he was enjoying it while he was on leave.

While Hyrum was deployed, he recorded a few videos of him reading books to Tiago. I played them for Tiago, but he was always too little to even care. One day I turned it on hoping to distract him, and he actually seemed to 'get it'. He started laughing hysterically at some of the things Hyrum said, and ironically he ended up laughing at all the funny parts. I think he's been around Hyrum enough now to know his mannerisms and know when he's trying to be funny. And on that note, Hyrum loves having someone around that thinks his jokes are funny (on video, and in person.)
Now that Tiago is mobile, he gets into everything. He loves throwing tupperware all over the kitchen. Once that's a mess, he usually heads for the pots and pans. (By mid-June he was crawling normal, not just dragging himself along.)
He also improved his standing skills, and fortunately once it wasn't such a novelty he stopped doing it every time he woke up at night.
His favorite place to crawl to in the house is the washing machine. I think this was one night before he took a bath. Hyrum had the laptop in the bathroom so he could watch the soccer game while he was bathing Tiago. That's normal multi-tasking, right?
Tiago had his own Colombia onesie to wear. And the flag was always flying at our house when Colombia was playing.
That was one of many soccer games going on around here. My sister actually asked me how much of the World Cup Hyrum watched, and I told her he'd probably be offended by that question. Missing a game wasn't even an option... even if it meant he had to stay up til the wee hours of the morning, then wake up at 5 am for PT. During Colombia's game against Uruguay, I actually thought Hyrum was going to cry when Colombia scored. I was so busy watching his celebration that I didn't take any pictures, but here he is after the excitement wore down a bit.
My sister also asked if this was the first World Cup I'd experienced with Hyrum. I reminded her that right after we got married, Hyrum and his friends were trying to find out the score for the game they missed while at the wedding ceremony... and then how we watched every soccer game that happened during our honeymoon. So it came as no surprise that we spent our anniversary this year celebrating our marriage with Chinese food, then watching soccer. Regardless of the soccer, it was fun to spend time together. We've spent enough anniversaries apart that I can appreciate when we're together. And for fun, we calculated how much of our 4 years of marriage we've spent apart, and it's about 32%!! Thank you, Army. I'm hoping this coming year will bring that number down a bit.
The game going on was USA vs Germany. Our town did a public showing at the castle/fortress, Burg Dagestein. It was a lot of Americans from the base, mixed with a bunch of Germans, and a lot of bratwurst and beer. Unfortunately, USA lost, but fortunately it didn't matter because they still advanced.
Tiago was cute enough that he made it into the German newspaper! Our landlord gave us this copy. It included a few quotes from Hyrum, including who he thought would go to the final.
| Hyrun (his name always gets messed up) Suarez from Utah is a huge futbol fan. And his son is too, apparently. |
And this was from my own camera.
Once Colombia got out in the 3rd round, we were happy to see Germany make it to the end. Well, Hyrum was technically cheering for Argentina, but happy with the outcome nonetheless. There was definitely celebrating going on with their final win, including a lot of fog horns and cars honking, but pretty minimal compared to what you'd see in a big city. Vilseck, after all, isn't a huge metropolis.
A few more pictures of Tiago to wrap up the month.
This never happens. Except sometimes in the first 30 seconds after he wakes up from a nap. So any time he decides to half-cuddle it's worth pulling out the camera for.







His toes are so cute when he's standing. They're kind of all curled around each other.
ReplyDelete