Saturday, June 14, 2014

Greece: more food

My sister [mistakenly] thought that when I only posted about yogurt and breakfast food the other day it's because that's the only food we liked.  In reality, I limited it to breakfast because I didn't want my post to turn into a novel.

So now I'll present Part II of our eating adventures: everything else. It's long.  Because we really loved the food in Greece.  And we love eating.


Hyrum devoured a meat platter, and I ate souvlaki (meat on skewers).  Most food is served with fries and tzaziki sauce.  Tiago always enjoyed the bread.  


Sometimes when we were lucky the bread came with dipping sauces.  The garlic one was delicious.  And we tried a casserole type thing called moussaka, which I might try making sometime.  

We found a bakery near our hotel that we went to regularly.  Ice cream, cake... yum.  

Quite possibly my favorite thing I ate in Greece (after the yogurt) was the Greek Salad.  Besides the delicious tomatoes and cucumbers, the feta cheese was amazing.  And there was no shortage.  

We ordered that salad on the way home from Elafonissi Beach.  There was a small restaurant on the side of the road with cool hammocks and a view of the valley.  

I got another Greek Salad the next day because it was so good. 

And sometimes we get fancy.  Look closely at the picture on the right--Hyrum is imitating the monkey on his straw. 


More bakery goodness... including an enormous piece of baklava.  We also consumed a lot of lemon Fanta on our trip. 

 One day a 4-wheeler drove down the beach selling treats.  As he drove by I told Hyrum, "I really wish he'd stop!  I'd buy something from him."  About five minutes later he came back and stopped, so we took advantage and bought a giant doughnut.  (It just happened to be Doughnut Day, too, I later found out via Facebook, the place to find out all random facts.)
 

And our last indulgence before leaving the country was gelato.  Yes, I can find that in Germany, but there were new flavors, and it just looked so pretty we had to stop. No regrets. Plus, Tiago loved it.

One billion calories later, and my post is done.  We enjoyed all the food on Crete, and now I'm trying to be on a diet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment