Thursday, May 29, 2014

1st Camping Trip!


We did a quick camping trip last weekend to see how Tiago handled it, in hopes of being able to go camping a few more times this summer.  

Overall, I'd say it was a success.  We had more difficulties putting up and taking down the tent with the threat of rain than we did with the baby.  

We packed all of our "S" items:  sandals, shorts, sun hats, swimsuits, sunscreen.  But when we arrived, it got really cold.  We layered Tiago in all the warm clothes we had brought for him, and figured it would just be a cold camping trip. 

The place we found was only 20 minutes away, called Monte Kaolino.  I think we were both surprised how much we liked it!    The campground is right next to a big pile of sand, with a lift that takes people to the top.  They have rentals for people to sled or ski down.  We watched people sledding and it looked like an adventure.  

I think they rent these Teepees for people to sleep in.  

Santiago was very entertained by this new environment.  He crawled all around the tent, playing with whatever he could find.  

We went to explore the campground, which had several really nice pools.  Then we walked over to the sand mountain area, and saw that you could ride a roller-coaster thing up to the top, then wind down the mountain.  Hyrum took a ride.



   


By the time that fun was over, it had gotten very warm.  We changed into our swimsuits and swam while Tiago napped in the stroller.  When he woke up he was happy as could be.

Besides not bringing enough warm clothes, our other packing mistake was not bringing our propane canister.  We considered driving home to get it, and saw that the campground sold propane (but it came in containers that looked like WWII bombs), but in the end we just ended up using a burner that was in the campground "Küche" [kitchen].  For 20 cents we got 15 minutes, which was plenty.  And in the end we didn't have to clean our little grill, which was a bonus.  The rain brought our little feast indoors.


I love this picture of Tiago because I think that peaceful sleeping face will be one of the things I miss the most when he gets older.  When he's awake, he doesn't let me hold him very close, so when he occasionally falls asleep in my arms I take advantage.  It was cold that night, so he woke up several times, and kept me up for much longer than I wanted to be awake, but overall we rated it a successful trip!


1 comment:

  1. That looks like a fun and entertaining place to camp. Next time I'd consider renting a TeePee for the novelty.

    ReplyDelete