Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Gratitude - 5 days late-

Happy Thanksgiving!  (A few days late)
 

Here are a few things I'm thankful for this year:

  • I'm so happy to be in Utah spending time with family this holiday season, instead of hanging out by myself back in Germany.  So. Much. Better.  Good food, and good company.  Plus, when the baby cries in the middle of the night because of jetlag, there are two other adults in the house who want to jump up and take care of him. 

  • I'm grateful for Tiago!  I'm glad he's finally here.  He's the cutest member of our family now.
[Not sure why the only picture I have of Santiago alone on Thanksgiving is without his pants...]
  •   I'm grateful for helpful people.  Before being pregnant and having a newborn, I always felt like I could do everything myself and didn't need help.  That might have been true, but it definitely changed when I had a baby.  Now I am very appreciative of the little things people do to help me out.  This became even more apparent when I was traveling to the States by myself with a baby, stroller, carseat, 50lb suitcase and diaper bag.  We took the train to the airport, which has about 4 steep steps to get inside.  Strangers helped me get all my stuff in, and out.  They showed me where the elevator was.  The lady at the Delta ticket counter kept the seat next to me empty, even when the entire rest of the plane was full.  Another flight attendant helped me get my bags through Passport Control because my stroller was sent to the baggage claim instead of the gate.  The man sitting next to me on the airplane took my bags down from the overhead compartment, and offered to carry it for me.  It was surprising that in a part of the world known for being cold and independent, everyone was jumping up to help.  And I appreciated it!  Not just because I needed the help, but was also a reminder that people are good. 
Tiago's first airplane trip!

  • I'm grateful that Hyrum's deployment is passing quickly.  I can't say its half over, but I think I can say the hardest part is behind us.  It's not an ideal situation, but we're all doing well, and April will be here before we know it.

  • I'm grateful for all we've been able to do this past year.  Germany is far from family, but the trade off is being able to travel so many places.  It was fun to see some incredible places before Santiago was born.  Future traveling will probably be a completely different experience. 





No comments:

Post a Comment