![]() |
| [Hyrum's FOB at sunset]
Hyrum has been gone for more than two months. Of course I miss him, and wish he was here, but Tiago and I are holding down the fort here in Vilseck.
The other day I realized that I'm not just 'hanging in there', but I'm really enjoying life right now. I was reminded that even in difficult circumstances we can receive so many good things that bring happiness. The trials don't have to be what define us.
For starters, I love having Santiago in our family. I'm glad I get to spend every day with him. He makes our home a happier place. Having Hyrum see his birth and first months of life would have been great, but having a healthy, happy baby is great by itself.
Prior to the deployment, Hyrum and I both made a list of goals. I had some trivial things on my list (return to pre-baby weight... ha!) but the one thing I wanted to focus on was studying the scriptures every day. It has made such a difference! I look forward to it and end feeling very filled. It would be nice to accomplish many things while Hyrum is gone, but if my only accomplishment is to feel that joy and peace each day, I won't be disappointed.
Small acts of service have also greatly lifted my burden. Normally I don't like accepting help, but considering I have a newborn and just two hands, I've been humbled into accepting help when its offered. Service doesn't have to be grand to make a real impact. A few things that stand out in my mind from the last week:
I've been reading in Exodus about the children of Israel wandering in the wilderness. It seems like God reminds them over and over that he'll take care of them. "I've already freed you from slavery... I'll provide you food... I'll destroy your enemies... I'll be your guide..." He didn't immediately take them out of the wilderness, but they didn't have to do it alone.
I'm glad that in my 9-months of 'wilderness', I'm not doing it alone.
|
| No post is complete these days without a cute picture of Santiago! Here's one of his funny poses. |

Hi little arms are getting chubby and cute!
ReplyDelete