Friday, March 22, 2013

The German Dentist

I don't know whether my strange experience at the dentist should be attributed to being german, or being small-town.  But regardless, here's why I can't decide if I liked it, hated it, or should ever go back.

-It was a 10-minute walk away.  Definite plus.
-The whole office staff was the dentist, and the receptionist lady/hygienist/assistant.  (As soon as she started grinding at my teeth, I was secretly hoping she really was a dental hygienist, not just 'helping'.)
-The dentist asked about the last time I had x-rays done. (6 months) And if they did all my teeth.  (yes)  And if they said I had any cavities. (no)  The answers all seemed good to him.  I looked around and didn't even see x-ray equipment in the office.
-He checked my teeth and asked if I felt pain.  Then said I had no cavities.
-When I told him that at my last dental visit they told me one of my sealants might be coming loose, he said OK, but nothing else.  (uh.. should that be fixed??)
-No flossing.  And more disturbing, they didn't yell at me for never flossing.  That always happens at the dentist.
-When I left they were very friendly.  "See you in 6 months! Have a great weekend!  Thanks for coming!"

I can't decide if I like the simplicity of walking to get my teeth cleaned and using pain a a judge for whether I need something fixed.  Or maybe all the years of dental scheming has brainwashed me---isn't there always something that the dentist recommends doing?  Whether its a small cavity that needs to be watched, or loose sealants, or a night guard...  (Think car mechanic.)  And even if all the technology in a dentist office is an unnecessary way to charge more to the insurance company, I do find it comforting to have them tap my teeth and tell me how strong my roots are, cause at least they're checking something.  My dentist appointment today left me a little unfulfilled.  I never thought I'd say that about the dentist, one of the places  I loath most on earth.   Maybe it's time to look for a new dentist, and hope that this type of dentistry isn't a German trend.  

(One other funny thing-- at the end of the appointment, instead of a bag of dental goodies to compensate for a painful cleaning like you usually get in the States, the 'hygienist' instead said, "here's a gift for coming!"  It was a small tube of toothpaste and.... a pen. Random.)

No comments:

Post a Comment