School is supposed to start tomorrow. We've had a loooong summer (basically, a never-ending Spring Break) and will benefit from a little routine around here. But after having full rein over our schedule, yesterday was a wake-up call.
7:30 am- Go running before Hyrum leaves to work (2 hrs later than normal, since he worked over the weekend)
10 am- Tiago joins Zoom call/ meet-the-teacher, while Enzo screamed the whole time and I missed the whole thing
10:30- Enzo naps... eventually
12:00 pm- Grocery pick-up, Staples pick-up because I realized I bought the wrong type of 'wide-ruled red base line marble composition notebook' for Tiago, and fortunately, our store had some of the correct ones (story pages) in stock. And one last stop to pick up a notebook at Target that I also overlooked (and Staples didn't have...)
12:30- unpack groceries while feeding the kids
1:00- Girls' zoom call/ meet-the-teacher, during which Enzo only screamed half of the time. One of the other Kindergarten teachers was explaining good Zoom ettiquette, which included having a quiet space to work and a parent available to help. I realized we're failing before we even start. They get a dining room table in a room with three other siblings, and the parent will be in the house, but may be limited in helping.
1:30- finally quiet time! But I'm still entertaining Enzo...
2:30- Pick up book at the library and drop off everything that's due. The new books do a good job of entertaining the kids.
3:30- Finally put Enzo down for a nap. Even though he screams until 4:20. Meanwhile, try making dinner so that's out of the way. It took an hour, and I was hot and tired, but good thing it ended up delicious.
4:45- Collapse on the bed for 15 minutes before waking up Enzo, kicking the neighbor kids out of the house, and loading up all of mine to go to the drive-by Back to School Bash at the school, where we picked up school supplies and i-pads, which are all sitting in the bag still because I haven't had a minute to go through it all.
6:30- After dinner, go to baptism at the church to play the piano. Break from the kids!
8:00- Book club in my backyard, because some people are still social distancing, and we are sick of doing Zoom calls.
10:45- the last friends go home after a great evening.
the next 2 hours... not sleeping, wondering what the school year will look like.
Today I find myself printing a schedule so I can try to coordinate all of these Zoom calls throughout the day. Hopefully within a week, we'll be in a rhythm, keeping the school happy with the Zoom calls, but fitting the work in where it makes sense to us. (Like.. we're not doing recess at 10:45, followed by lunch until 11:30. My house, my rules haha)
The school hopes the kids will be back in 3 week, although I'm such a skeptic! And it seems it will take 3 weeks to figure out all of this distanced learning. And my kids haven't woken up at 7:30 in months, so it will be an early morning tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment