Sunday, April 24, 2016

30th Birthday Weekend- temple, spa, and Dugway

I very rarely get to celebrate birthdays with family, so I took advantage of having a 'milestone' birthday (30!) to make my family celebrate with me.  It's quite a novelty to be close enough to travel for just a weekend.

Originally we were thinking of going somewhere, but it worked out that we could combine a birthday celebration with my sister's sealing, so instead we celebrated locally.

On travel without kids: awesome.  I only carried my one tiny bag. I read my book.  I sat in silence.  I felt like a mature, independent adult, which rarely happens in airports.  I eyed all the other families going through security with kids, bags and strollers, and my heart probably pitter-pattered out of joy that I wasn't stressed or sweating. [I love my kids, but I don't love airport security with them.]

Apparently the Denver airport security lines are usually pretty long.  Technology is pretty wonderful that a person can check current wait times for the line, as well as when their flight's doors will close.  I only had about 20 minutes to spare, and in fact walked right onto the plane when I arrived at the gate, but wasn't stressed because it was just me, and my smart phone told me I'd make it on time.

I like going to Utah because it feels like the whole time I'm there it's a party.  I realize that's not 'normal life' for people there, but I think that my coming to town gives my siblings a reason to get together.  What can I say... they must like me.

My welcoming committee (Jenna) picked me up at the airport.  I got to party with Courtney, Peter, and my parents that evening.  Plus my friend Becca came over.  Jenna was over until almost midnight, which involved some interesting conversations, passionate discussions and laughing.  Always laughing.

I wish being away from kids means I could sleep in, but my internal alarm clock woke me up before 8 am.  It was still nice to lay in bed and read, with no one tapping my arm or yelling in my ear.

Amie and Jorge were sealed in the Salt Lake temple.  Their baby was sealed to them, and the older girls weren't sealed but got to be there in the sealing room to watch.  It was nice to see them all dressed in white.  The weather was pretty, but deceivingly cold.  (But meanwhile, it Colorado, there was a snow storm, so I can't complain.)


After, we ate at Settebellos.... delicious pizza that I won't soon forget.  In fact, I'm trying to figure out why my homemade pizza isn't so awesome. It reminded me of Italy...

Then we transitioned to the birthday afternoon, with the girls of the family high-tailing it to Snowbird resort for pedicures and relaxing.  I think the dry sauna was my favorite.  Scratch that, the massage chair during the pedicure was my favorite.  You don't realize what stress you're carrying in your body until you stop to relax.  I was sore the next day from the massaging.  After a few hours, we left, and stopped at Harmons for awesome brownies (and hair dye) before dropping Laurel off.  [I decided to dye my hair darker since I haven't colored it in 30 years... it feels like it's about time.  But that got postponed a few days.]
.

 We took the two above pictures before realizing the mountains were much better the other direction!

Once we got back to Salt Lake for sushi, Kayla and Courtney left, and Amie showed up.  I guess most of the weekend I was busy enjoying and being present, so it didn't cross my mind to take pictures.  After sushi, we went back to Jenna's apartment to eat the un-eaten half of my birthday cake.  It was delicious.  Some desserts are completely worth the calories.

Face 1: Where's the other half of my cake?
Face 2: obligatory smile
Face 3: crowd-pleaser... crazy inhalation face
Face 4: at 30 I can still blow out a few candles... good sign.

Sunday morning my dad and I drove out to Skull Valley (1.5 hours southwest of SLC) to see the old Hatch Ranch and Dugway Proving Grounds, where my dad attended Elementary School on base because it was the only school around.  Our plan was to also attend church there, but when we finally showed up (5 minutes early) the parking lot was empty.  We figured it must have been stake conference.  Awesome luck.

We were skeptical about whether or not the security guards would let us onto the Army post.  (At most large military installments, I can get in without any problem just by showing my ID.  Anyone else in a vehicle with me just needs to show a drivers license.)  I've been to bases around Germany, as well as in Kansas, Kentucky, etc, with no questions asked.  However, Dugway is small, and quite secretive (according to my Dad), and the guards at first didn't want to let us through.  Then they said they could run background checks on us and get us visitor passes.  It took about 20 minutes, then we got to drive around post.


Two observations.  First, Dugway is out there. Not only is there nothing outside the base, but it felt like a ghosttown inside the base.  Half of the houses were empty.  We didn't see a single person outside.  The buildings are all super old.  (ie: my dad's old Elementary school is still there, looking the exact same as it did in the 60's.)  Second, every Army base is made up of the same elements: IHG hotel, DECA commissary (although this one was more like a corner gas station), MWR (recreation stuff), CYSS (child care), schools, housing, and a baseball field or two.




My dad drove down a street where he said there used to be housing, but the only evidence of that is the cement driveways that now lead up to nothing.  Bizarre.  There were some relatively new housing areas, probably for field-grade officers.  My dad was pretty content to see everything, since he hasn't been on base since they moved away in 1966.  (He has a really good memory, and knew exactly where everything was.)  I'm glad my military id came in handy.


Our next stop was the Hatch Ranch, which my great-grandfather owned with his brothers, and my grandpa then co-owned/managed until my dad was in middle school.  When you leave the Army post, there's a church immediately to the right, and then nothing but a long road for 10 miles.  The entrance to the ranch is along that 10 mile stretch, and that's about all that's within sight.  Waaay off in the distance are a couple of other ranches, where my dad said a few of his friends lived growing up.  (I don't think you could afford to be picky with friends when there were only a few houses within a 2 mile stretch.)



We saw some other sites around Skull Valley as we drove back home. We saw the Goshute Indian reservation; my dad always talked about the Indian friends he went to school with.  We also saw Iosepa, which is an abandoned settlement from the late 1800's.  I'd never heard of it, but looked it up on Wikipedia.  The church settled immigrants from Polynesia (primarily Hawaii) who came to Utah, primarily because of the temple.  You can imagine their disappointment when they were assigned to the Skull Valley area-- a far cry from beautiful islands!  When they announced the Hawaii temple about 40 years later, most of them went back.

It was interesting to see where my family has roots.  My dad could be a paid tour-guide for that area of Utah, although I don't think it sees many tourists.  (Tooele? Grantsville? ha) It made me think though, I probably will never have roots like that.  You can live somewhere for 5, 10, or even 20 years.  But that doesn't give you the same connection to a place as having real roots there, previous generations who left a legacy to pass down.  I spent my childhood in 4 states, and have lived in 5 more since then.  So does that mean my roots are, in fact, in Utah?

After a sacrament meeting in Farmington, I hung out at the airport waiting for my flight.  It was an awesome, uneventful return trip, only to find 12 inches of heavy snow on my car.  We're coming from South Carolina, so we don't have any snow-stuff in our car; I got one of my sneakers out of my suitcase to clear it off.  I was suddenly glad to have packed three pairs of shoes on a 2.5 day trip.  You never know when a shoe will come in handy.

In conclusion of this really long post, I decided there were a few good reasons to take alone trips like this periodically. First, it helps me avoid feeling like a martyr.  Being at home with the kids every day I feel exhausted, and like I'm sacrificing so much.  When I can step out, it reminds me that I'm not chained to my house and to my children, and that my husband is capable of doing what I do, too, even though he goes to work every day.  Second, it reminds my husband of what I do every day and keeps him grateful for me.  Win win.

When's the next trip??


1 comment:

  1. So interesting! What was left in Iosepa? I've been interested in that ghost town for a while and was considering taking my kids there. The history is actually a lot sadder than what's on Wikipedia. Is there anything left to see?

    ReplyDelete