Friday, June 12, 2015

Motherhood, moving, and late nights

Day to day life around here hasn't been too exciting.  It's a lot of Netflix, kids books, holding crying babies, changing diapers, feeding every 3 hours, doing laundry, and picking up the never-ending mess that Tiago makes.

We bought a pool pass so we'd have a place to hang out outside, but my lower back is having serious problems again so I avoid carrying the three kids up and down stairs at all costs.  That means we're home a lot.  I'm fine with that, for now.

Tiago is a lot better now with the girls.  He holds up toys in front of them and rubs their heads, all without any prompting fro me. Sometimes he'll be helpful and bring me diapers for them, or try to put in their pacifiers if they're crying. It's amazing how far he's come!  He doesn't try to steal their pacifiers at all. Occasionally, though, he gets jealous of me holding the girls and will come sit on my lap and try to lay on top of them.  It looks as ridiculous as it sounds.

We've been getting ready to move at the end of the summer.  That means a lot of little things to coordinate: two shipments of our stuff, getting loaner furniture, hotel reservations for before/after the flight, figuring out what random payments we should be getting from finance and how to make sure it happens, selling what we don't want to bring, looking for a place to live in South Carolina, etc.  I was up till 11 last night making calls to the States.  (That's one advantage of the big time difference--I can do my business once the kids are in bed.)  Eleven might not sound late to most, but considering Hyrum was asleep by 8:30 and I usually go to bed with him, I felt like quite the night owl.  I highly value my sleep; if I'm well-rested I feel like I can function properly.  Without sleep, there are no guarantees.  However, a few hours of quiet productive time is quite tempting...

Why was Hyrum asleep so early? He drove to Cologne on Wednesday with some friends to watch the USA/Germany soccer match.  And USA actually won.  They got home around 5 am the next morning and headed in to work.  Sometimes I think his plans are completely crazy (I would never drive 10 hours round trip to watch a game, especially in the middle of a work week) but he had a great time and thinks is was definitely worth it.

When I was trying to fall asleep last night, I heard the church bells outside ringing.  (I hear something ringing right now, too... I think at the cemetery).  I listened to the bell ring 11 times, letting me know what time it was.  It occurred to me that when I move to the States there will be no more church bells to tell me the time.  I think it's a great idea and something we should implement everywhere!

I get about an hour a day when all of the kids are napping.  (Two, if I'm lucky.)  I sometimes run around the whole time crossing things off my to-do list.  And other times I can't remember what urgently needs to get done, so I do less important things like upload pictures from the camera and blog.  And the second I hear my kids waking up (like right now) I remember that I still need to unload the dishwasher and figure out what to make for dinner...

Which means: the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment