Monday, July 22, 2013

Last July

It's amazing how much can change in a year!  Since my blog didn't exist a year ago, I thought I'd take a moment to reflect:

First, let's talk location.  Last July I was living in our apartment in Mentor, Ohio while Hyrum spent the whole summer (3 full months!) in South Carolina for his AG career training.  Not fun!!  But at least we got to talk on the phone, and I visited twice.  That was a nice perk of having two incomes for a few months.  :)

Now, we've been in Germany for 11 months.  We're at the stage of being very settled, and it feels like we've been here forever.  Life existed before this?  Really??

Last July I was still working at Avery Dennison.  I felt capable and competent and enjoyed my job.  (It's really easy to enjoy a job when there's an end in sight.  It completely eliminates the drowning feeling that sometimes accompanies never-ending to-do lists.)  I was still using Excel daily and answering hundreds of emails a week.

And now, I have to come up with reasons just to create simple Excel spreadsheets.  Fancier family budget? Done.  Pregnancy weight tracker?  Done.  Digital vaccination record?  Done.  I love Excel and clearly miss using it regularly.  I miss aspects of working, but haven't had a job in Germany for several reasons.  (I think "What I do all day and why I don't have a job" probably deserves its own blog post.)  Maybe tomorrow. [update: see post here] Hyrum is now graduated and bringing home the bacon for the family.  And I cook more.

Last July I lived less than 8 minutes from our church building (also the Stake Center.)  Now we drive 25 minutes to get to church.

Speaking of driving, last July I still had my Blazer.  And then we downsized to one car because the Army only pays to ship one overseas.  So most days I'm car-less.  But unlike last year, we live in a small town where the pool, bakery, and a grocery store are all technically within walking distance.

Last July I was wishing I was pregnant.  This year, I actually am.  (Although I loved answering the question, "Are you pregnant yet" with "Uh, no, my husband currently lives over 600 miles away.  That makes things a little harder.")

Last July I had no idea what Army life would entail.  I had SO many questions that I felt weren't getting answered because Hyrum had commissioned through ROTC and there was not a nearby Army facility to visit.  How will we be flying to Germany?  Do I need to leave from OH or SC?  What the heck is a no-fee passport and why can't I travel to Germany with my tourist passport?  Where will we live once we get there?  What's the deal with health-care enrollment?  What is EFMP and why do I have to get screened by a doctor before the move to Germany is official?

Since my first visit to SC was on a weekend, and all Army offices were closed, I planned my next visit to include one Monday, in which I ran all over post trying to get my questions answered and fill out paperwork that MUST be done in person.  (So inconvenient!)

Now I'm a seasoned Army wife.  (Hardly!)  But I at least know a few more acronyms.  EFMP refers to family members with special needs.  The no-fee passport just includes a piece of paper that lets me stay longer than 90 days.  I spent plenty of time in the housing office.  I'm enrolled in Tri-care.  I've attended a few FRG meetings (FRG = family readiness group).  I recognize more ranks than I did before.  But still not all.  Maybe next year.

Since this is a family blog, I'll mention Hyrum.  Last July he was being bombarded with Powerpoint presentations about his future career, trying to soak up as much information as possible so he could put it to good use later on.  In the last year he's learned a lot by just jumping in and doing it; now he's comfortable with his job and is getting ready for his first deployment.

Looking ahead to July 2014, I can only imagine how different life will be.  We'll be parents.  [Whoa.  Big changes ahead.]  Hyrum will be back from deployment, and hopefully we'll be off on some great family vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment