Maybe it's to blame on cultural differences, but I grew up watching musicals and Hyrum did not. Watching mermaids and candlesticks and lions break into song was all very natural to me. Thanks Walt Disney. I never questioned it.
Naturally over the last few years, I've forced Hyrum to enjoy/endure (depending on who's telling the story) movies that have singing characters. And he never gets it. And it usually ends up in him running around the house for several weeks after imitating the characters. For example:
| In best angry phantom singing voice, "Sing!!!! OR I'll KILL YOU!!! You're mine!!! Why are we singing???" |
![]() |
| Not gonna argue that this is a great musical, but Hyrum does a great impression of Jennifer Hudson. In a dramatic soprano voice, "What about me???? What about my feelings???" |
![]() |
| And of course, his impressions of the munchkins from Oz provided great entertainment. |
So over Christmas break I went to the library to rent a bunch of movies. I've never actually watched Fiddler on the Roof before, despite all the cultural references, quotes in General Conference, and skits at talent shows. I brought it home, and the first thing Hyrum said was, "No way. What else did you get?" But pretty soon the other options ran out, and we put in Fiddler on the Roof.
And he loved it!
At first I thought that him singing "If I were a rich man" around the house and dancing was his version of mockery, but he kept saying how much he liked it. He liked the fiddler. He liked Tevye. He liked the dancing. And the storyline. And everything in between. And he was very vocal about liking it.
At first I thought that him singing "If I were a rich man" around the house and dancing was his version of mockery, but he kept saying how much he liked it. He liked the fiddler. He liked Tevye. He liked the dancing. And the storyline. And everything in between. And he was very vocal about liking it.
So there you have it: biggest surprise of Christmas break. And if you haven't seen Fiddler on the Roof, go watch it.



No comments:
Post a Comment